[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NetWare and tcp/ip

syackey@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve Yackey) (07/21/89)

   Is there any{body, product, thing} that lets you do NetWare stuff
using internet (DoD) protocols ?

  Like:

  |             |                                                  |
  |	   udp      |        netware core protocol (ncp) stuff         |
  |_____________|__________________________________________________|

  Thanx

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (07/22/89)

>    Is there any{body, product, thing} that lets you do NetWare stuff
> using internet (DoD) protocols ?
>
>   _________________________________________________________________
>   |             |                                                  |
>   |    udp      |        netware core protocol (ncp) stuff         |
>   |_____________|__________________________________________________|

I think Novell has to do it, at least for the PC client and the
NetWare server.  Other people may do it for Portable Netware for Unix
and other boxes.  I believe that some people at Novell have allowed as
how it would make sense . . .

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

ljm@TWG.COM (Leo J McLaughlin) (07/22/89)

For a number of years now, Novell has been promising to open up their
protocol stack in much the same way as Microsoft did (attempted to do)
with LAN Manager.  The latest article I saw was about three months ago
(LAN Times) and predicted a projected delivery date about end of 1990.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
Project Manager
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (07/24/89)

I don't know of anyone who has encapsulated Netware IPX inside UDP, but
it shouldn't be too awfully hard, given access to raw-net-level on the
translating nodes.

jbvb

ljm@TWG.COM (Leo J McLaughlin) (07/25/89)

>Novell has released the spec for the ODI (Open Driver Interface) that
>supports protocols other than the Novell stack (IPX,SPX etc).  The spec is
>available from Novell now.  The first system software to actually use that
>spec for drivers is the 386 Netware which has been announced by them to be
>available by end of 1989 (recollection of actual announcement).

Unfortunately, it merely allows other protocol stacks to use the same physical
interface as IPX -- a capability supported by Wollongong, FTP software, and
probably others for some time (albeit on a small number of high demand cards).

The last published release projection I've seen for the full Novell Open
Protocol Interface allowing Netware to be run over TCP/UDP/IP and TP4/CLNP
was hoping for end of 1990.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
Project Manager
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com

acm@RELAY.PROTEON.COM (07/25/89)

     For a number of years now, Novell has been promising to open up their
     protocol stack in much the same way as Microsoft did (attempted to
     do) with LAN Manager.  The latest article I saw was about three
     months ago (LAN Times) and predicted a projected delivery date about
     end of 1990.

     leo j mclaughlin iii

Novell has released the spec for the ODI (Open Driver Interface) that
supports protocols other than the Novell stack (IPX,SPX etc).  The spec is
available from Novell now.  The first system software to actually use that
spec for drivers is the 386 Netware which has been announced by them to be
available by end of 1989 (recollection of actual announcement).

        -Alan Marshall, VP Proteon Inc.
         2 Technology Drive             CCMAIL: acm at proteonwebo
         Westboro, MA  01581-5008       ARPANET: acm@Proteon.com
                tel: (508)898-2120      MHS: acm @ ProteonW

tom@rsp.UUCP (Thomas Ruf) (07/27/89)

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:

>I don't know of anyone who has encapsulated Netware IPX inside UDP, but
>it shouldn't be too awfully hard, given access to raw-net-level on the
>translating nodes.

I know of someone :-)
We provide both an IPX over UDP driver, as well as an IP gateway that
uses an IPX-only-internet as "subnet".

--
Thomas Ruf				Schneider & Koch GmbH
{uunet,mcvax}!unido!rsp!tom		West-Germany

snorthc@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (07/31/89)

> I know of someone :-)
> We provide both an IPX over UDP driver, as well as an IP gateway that
> uses an IPX-only-internet as "subnet".
> Thomas Ruf				Schneider & Koch GmbH
> {uunet,mcvax}!unido!rsp!tom		West-Germany

Sounds great, would you be willing to provide us with some more
details?  We have Novells out in the world as subnets, and an
IP only backbone.  The Novells had promised they would never need
the backbone, but of course they do.  So if you have a hack that
works, PLEASE let us know everything:
	- how it works;
	- Hardware/Software req'd;
	- Cost/Part Numbers/Addresses/Points of Contact.
I suspect this is of general interest to the net, since the question
comes up every six months or so, but if you wish to reply directly
to me:

mail	Stephen Northcutt
	E41, Naval Surface Warfare Center
	DAHLGREN VA 22448