[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NFS Support for DOS

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/20/89)

In article <4554@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk)
writes:
>Right.  So this must mean that you guys are now supporting the industry
>standard packet-driver interface so that things like NCSA-Telnet and
>FTP Software's stuff will run alongside PC-NFS.  Right?

I'd like to run PC-NFS and Clarkson's TN3270 on a PC/AT with a
3C503 (not at the same time).   Clarkson's Packet Driver requires
the dip-switches set to enable shared memory.  PC-NFS's 3C503
driver will not run when I do this; it wants shared memory
disabled.  I have Geoff Arnold's PC-NFS+Packet Driver Version 2,
but I'd rather not run it if I don't have to, since it's
officially unsupported.  Does enabling shared memory force it to
be used, or just set a power-on default that a driver could
disable?  Why does PC-NFS insist on an inefficient operating mode?
According to the documentation, it doesn't do this on the WD8003!

					-=EPS=-

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (08/21/89)

In article <457@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>[....] PC-NFS's 3C503
>driver will not run when I do this; it wants shared memory
>disabled.  [...]  Why does PC-NFS insist on an inefficient operating mode?

The choice was 3Com's, not ours. In PC-NFS 3.0, we added support for the
3C503, 3C523 and 3C505 cards. Rather than doing drivers for each one, we
wrote a single driver to interface to 3Com's "vector" interface (one of the
precursors to today's NDIS) and obtained vector drivers for each
card from 3Com. In theory, this allowed PC-NFS to coexist with 3+
and share the board. In practice, out-of-sync software revisions by
Sun and 3Com have made this a somewhat hit-or-miss affair, and in PC-NFS
3.0.1 support for coexistence is officially withdrawn pending further
study.

I have no idea why 3Com's software uses the 3C503 with shared memory
disabled. Maybe it was to minimize software differences between the
501, 503, 505 and 523.

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
My disclaimer is available via anonymous FTP as a compressed tar archive....