[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3Com 3C523 lockup problem with PS II 70/80's.

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/18/89)

In article <1989Aug16.222938.608@geology.wisc.edu> ben@geology.wisc.edu (Ben Abernathy) writes:
>The computers lockup and require rebooting especially when using
>the NSCA V2.2 telnet program.  We are using the 3Com eth523.sys driver
>and DOS 3.3 and DOS 4.01.

Is 3Com software going to coexist with NCSA?

Here's my fantasy: a 3+ driver that "looks like" a FTP 1.08
packet driver--I don't want to run 3+ over a standard packet
driver, I want a driver that makes 3+Share happy, but will pass
IP, ARP, RARP and trailer types to anything that wants them.  It
has to be free, and freely redistributable.  I don't have access
to 3+ technical documentation, and yes, I've been told to flush
3Com in favor of Novell.  I need support for 3C501, 3C503, 3C505,
and 3C523.

I understand that PC-NFS will coexist with 3+; if so, how did Sun
pull this off?  Geoff?

					-=EPS=-

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (08/21/89)

In article <440@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>I understand that PC-NFS will coexist with 3+; if so, how did Sun
>pull this off?  Geoff?
>
>					-=EPS=-

See my last posting for some of the history of PC-NFS and 3Com. In theory
one could write such a driver as you describe, but you should be aware that
according to 3Com NDIS is the way to go. In fact the huge number of
"wins" claimed for NDIS suggests that we (i.e. the PC networking
folks who deal with IP networks) urgently need to look at doing
NDIS-over-PacketDriver and PacketDriver-over-NDIS compatibility
modules. JVB? Russ? Karl? John?

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
My disclaimer is available via anonymous FTP as a compressed tar archive....