[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA FTP

thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) (08/24/89)

Does NCSA have a separate FTPBIN.exe.  The only way I have found to FTP
files is to telnet to the machine in question and initiate the FTP from
that machine back to my PC.  I would prefer to initiate the FTP from my PC.
Thanks for any help.

Todd Thompson

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/25/89)

In article <28931@srcsip.UUCP> thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM
	(Todd Thompson) writes:
>Does NCSA have a separate FTPBIN.exe.

Yes.  I've been using the Clarkson version.  Performance is
noticeably worse (surprise!) than the server built into TELBIN.

Configuration: "off the shelf" PS/2-50Z + 3C523, PC-DOS 3.3,
VERIFY ON

		from PS/2	to PS/2
	TELBIN	84K bytes/s	64K bytes/s
	FTPBIN	70K bytes/s	43K bytes/s

All figures represent reported rates from/to hard disk for large
files.  FTP peer for testing was a NeXT with Release 0.9.

					-=EPS=-

thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) (08/25/89)

Thanks for all your help.  I've already been given NCSA FTP v1.04D.

Todd Thompson

U0A61@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU ("Bryan, Jerry") (08/25/89)

>In article <28931@srcsip.UUCP> thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM
>   (Todd Thompson) writes:
>>Does NCSA have a separate FTPBIN.exe.

>Yes.  I've been using the Clarkson version.  Performance is
>noticeably worse (surprise!) than the server built into TELBIN.

You can invoke TELNET in such a way that it does not connect to anything,
at which point it becomes a perfectly servicable FTP server.  That is the
way I run when I just want an FTP server.