[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Looking for INT 14 terminal emulator recommendations

glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) (08/17/89)

I recently received FTP Inc.'s beta TNGLASS.EXE which is an INT 14
telnet program.  (Nice way they implemented it -- you specify
tnglass host -e emulator_program, so tnglass establishes the connection,
sets up INT 14, invokes the emulator, and disconnects when you exit
the emulator.  My only question with this implementation is I wonder
if they had a program separate from tnglass would the memory usage be
smaller (~83k of RAM used now), since the "glass" terminal emulation
would be gone.)

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for PC terminal programs/emulators
that work equally as well with dedicated modems and dedicated RS-232 lines,
as with INT 14.  Would make a nice rounded-out user interface to
support locally.  Public domain/commercial software is ok.

Thanks!
--
-- Glen M. Marianko, Supervisor of Data Communications and Hardware Support
   glen@aecom.yu.edu - {uunet}!aecom!glen - CIS: 76247,450

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (08/18/89)

In article <2403@aecom.yu.edu> glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) writes:

>Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for PC terminal programs/emulators
>that work equally as well with dedicated modems and dedicated RS-232 lines,
>as with INT 14.  Would make a nice rounded-out user interface to
>support locally.  Public domain/commercial software is ok.

Look at the MS-DOS Kermit (MS-Kermit 2.31 or newer). It's public domain
and supports the INT 14. It's emulation is VT100 and Tek4014! You can get
it from Bitnet Listservers or look into comp.protocols.kermit.

With regards,
Klaus
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  STEINBER@DGATUM5P      DFN:     k2@t30.physik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Bayerisches Hochschulnetz: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de

snorthc@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (08/22/89)

Glen Marianko writes:
> Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for PC terminal programs/emulators
> that work equally as well with dedicated modems and dedicated RS-232 lines,
> as with INT 14.  Would make a nice rounded-out user interface to
> support locally.  Public domain/commercial software is ok.

I have used PC Kermit 2.3x successfully with both FTP SW's int 14
telnet and Bridge's attempt at the same.  I have even switched
between the RS-232 port and the telnet port.  The one caveat is
that you may have to muck around with your .ini and .bat files
a bit to make the system user palatable.  PC Kermit is available
from Columbia and Simtel.

	cheers

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (08/24/89)

I can think of a few others that I KNOW are INT 14 compatible - Reflection
3(Walker Ricter and Quinn), Softerm(Lots of strange emulations), and the
newest version of Crosstalk Mark <something>.  Our company makes redirectors
which allows the emulators to talk using ethernets rather than serial ports
and have verified the above.  I also use the newest version of Kermit V2.32A.
Good Luck
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com (08/30/89)

SoftermPC supports not only INT14, async & modem but also LAT, NetBIOS
Novell IPX, Banyan and some others. Supports LOTS & LOTS of terminal
emulations (like Tandem 6530 async block to name just one) and the
most amazing script language.