[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NI5210 Packet Driver

deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) (08/27/89)

I've been stress testing the 4.2 NI5210 packet driver
from Clarkson and my test system insists on crashing - completely.
The only variable is the packet driver.  Everything
worked with the 3.x driver.  Has anyone else experienced
problems with this driver?  (I am using FTP's kernel.)
(If this has already been covered, sorry, but my node
has been down and out recently.)

Dean Roth
deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com

glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) (08/28/89)

In article <1010@lakesys.UUCP>, deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) writes:

> I've been stress testing the 4.2 NI5210 packet driver
> from Clarkson and my test system insists on crashing - completely.
> The only variable is the packet driver.  Everything
> worked with the 3.x driver.  Has anyone else experienced
> problems with this driver?

I have, and I emailed Russ Nelson about it last week but I haven't heard
back.  He may be on vacation (it's that time of the year, ya know).
I'll give him a few more days before I try again.

Anyway, I am suspect of ALL the alpha release 4 drivers, as I suspect
a bug in the HEAD/TAIL.ASM files.  I experienced the same problem on a
3c503 as well as the 5210.  I am back to using v3 now with success.

--
-- Glen M. Marianko, Supervisor of Data Communications and Hardware Support
   glen@aecom.yu.edu - {uunet}!aecom!glen - CIS: 76247,450

JGROVER@MAINE.BITNET (John Grover) (08/29/89)

I worked on the slip driver included in the release 4 packet drivers
and there was an eleventh hour change made to head.asm to accomodate
the changes in the slip driver. This change is in the recv_isr routine
and in the shuffling and reshuffling I'm not sure which amended version
actually went out.

The faulty (my opinion) version turns interrupts on in recv_isr. This
should not be done here and will indeed cause crashes which occur at
irregular times (I believe only when an interrupt occurs before recv_isr
actually completes.)

Hope this helps.

                           - jg -
P.S. BTW the slip driver released is badly broken. I have sent an
updated, and not so broken version to Russ. You might ask him for it
if you've any interest, or get back to me and I'll get it to you ...
sometime!

In article <2421@aecom.yu.edu> glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) writes:

   I have, and I emailed Russ Nelson about it last week but I haven't heard
   back.  He may be on vacation (it's that time of the year, ya know).
Yes, I have been, and now I have to finish all the real work I've been
neglecting all summer before the fall semester begins.  It will be some
weeks before I have time to work on the packet drivers again.

   Anyway, I am suspect of ALL the alpha release 4 drivers, as I suspect
   a bug in the HEAD/TAIL.ASM files.  I experienced the same problem on a
   3c503 as well as the 5210.  I am back to using v3 now with success.

I'd appreciate any clues that you might have...
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)|
       (Russ.Nelson@f360.n260.z1.fidonet.org)|(BH01@GEnie.com :-)