[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] pc/nfs and pc/oracle

don@edison.UUCP (Don Kossman) (08/30/89)

is anyone running pc-nfs _and_ pc-oracle on
a dos machine?  i'm having problems figuring out
whether this is possible, since the two vendors
involved (sun and oracle) provide orthogonal lists
of ethernet cards.  nor can i extract any info from them
regarding dos extended memory conflicts, etc.

would like to use my vax/ultrix systems as oracle database
servers _and_ file servers for the pc's.  straight tcp/ip
network (no novell or any other pc-lan)

if you _are_ doing this, please advise what ethernet
card you're using, and any restrictions, special tricks,
etc... also, are you using sun's pc-nfs product?  is
nfs for dos available from any other vendors?

tia for any info...

--
------
don kossman, sei information technology, los angeles

BEAME@mcmaster.ca (08/30/89)

Don Kossman writes :

> is anyone running pc-nfs _and_ pc-oracle on
> a dos machine?  i'm having problems figuring out
> whether this is possible, since the two vendors
> involved (sun and oracle) provide orthogonal lists
> of ethernet cards.  nor can i extract any info from them
> regarding dos extended memory conflicts, etc.

> is nfs for dos available from any other vendors?

I beleive PC-oracle works with Excelan 205T cards. BWNFS/EXCELAN V1.10
( A PC based NFS client) runs over the excelan 205T /TCP transport and can work
concurrently with Novell over excelan. It also should work concurrently with
pc-oracle.

BWNFS/EXCELAN is available from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
(416) 648-6556.

- Carl Beame
Beame@McMaster.CA

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (08/30/89)

When the next version of PC-Oracle comes out, it will be able to use any
of our PC/TCP kernels as its TCP/IP transport layer.  We support a wide
range of Ethernet, Starlan, Pronet and 802.5 cards, as well as SLIP.
We also have an add-on implementation of NFS for PC/TCP, called Interdrive,
which will co-exist just fine with other applications using the TCP/IP
protocol stack.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

jdreyer@pdp8.East.Sun.COM (Jonathan Dreyer - Sun BOS PC Distributed Systems) (09/02/89)

In article <292@edison.UUCP> don@seila.UUCP (Don Kossman) writes:
>is anyone running pc-nfs _and_ pc-oracle on
>a dos machine?

Oracle should be shipping SQL*Net TCP/IP for PC-NFS, an Oracle
product built with the PC-NFS Programmer's Toolkit, in a few weeks.
Your Oracle rep should know about this product; if not you might
give Ben Linder of Oracle a call.
(un    Jon Dreyer    Sun Microsystems      jdreyer@east.sun.com
) (                  Two Federal Street    sun!suneast!jdreyer
un)                  Billerica MA 01821    "I have no claim."