[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PCIP and RS232

Bergmann@DMZRZU71.BITNET (09/12/89)

Can someone out there tell me, how a serial RS232 cable for the SLIP
Packet driver has to look like ??  I am still having troube with
baudrates > 2400 bd, I think due to handshake problems.

(I want a IBM-PC to IBM-PC connection)

Thanks H.-J.

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (09/13/89)

In article <890911175832.602004@DMZRZU71-UNI-MAINZ--GERMANY> Bergmann@DMZRZU71.BITNET writes:
>Can someone out there tell me, how a serial RS232 cable for the SLIP
>Packet driver has to look like ??  I am still having troube with
>baudrates > 2400 bd, I think due to handshake problems.
>
>(I want a IBM-PC to IBM-PC connection)

     After experiencing bitrate-related problems myself, I hooked up a
scope and verified my suspicions -- that the serial ports themselves were
distorting the signals above 4800 baud.  The comm ports on PC's use
1488 and 1489 style RS232C line drivers and receivers.  RS232 specs
specify slew-rate limiting to minimize ringing and reflections on long
lines.  Some PC comm cards have this slew-rate control (in the form of
small capacitors connected to the 1488's (and sometimes the '89s as well).
Sometimes, it seems, the slew-rate control is excessive and puts a very
large slope on signals above 4800 or even 2400 baud.  This causes the
pulses to become spikes and the receiver has trouble distinguishing these
signal from noise and rejects them.
     If you have the schematics for your serial comm ports, you can
determine if you've got slew-rate caps installed.  If so, simply clipping
one lead with small wiresnips will clear up your SLIP problems.
     For more information, I suggest you hunt down a copy of Motorola
Semiconductor's Linear Data book.  The parts in question are: MC1488 and
MC1489A.  Lots of other people make these things as well:

	Texas Instruments: SN75188 and SN75189A
	Fairchild: MC1488 & MC1489A
	(and others too numerous to mention :-)

     One of these (I think Fairchild) provides in their databook papers on
the specs and transmission line theory involved.
--
Bruce Walker                          ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!bmw
"Better Living Through Connectivity"         ...utzoo!lsuc!isgtec!bmw