[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] KA9Q and serial rs232 lines

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (09/24/89)

In article <17680@bellcore.bellcore.com>, karn@jupiter.bellcore.com
 (Phil R. Karn) wrote:
>I recommend that you try replacing the 8250 or 16450 chips with National
>NS16550 chips, which have 16-level FIFOs built into the receiver and
>transmitter.
>
>These chips function just like 8250s unless they are explicitly put into
>FIFO mode by software.

Do you mean I can physically replace the 8250 on my serial board with
a 16550?  Wouldn't there be some trouble with the difference between
edge and level triggered interrupts?

Has anyone actually tried this, and how did the 16550 perform compared
to the 8250?

I am interested in this because we use KA9Q as an SLIP-Ethernet IP router
here and it runs wonderfully at 2400 but not at all at 9600, and we would
like to run it at the higher speed.

Thank you very much for your time.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> or {uunet,ubc-cs}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (09/24/89)

In article <302@van-bc.UUCP> skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
>Do you mean I can physically replace the 8250 on my serial board with
>a 16550?  Wouldn't there be some trouble with the difference between
>edge and level triggered interrupts?

Yes, I've done this in my two PCs (one AT and one XT). They work just fine
with amateur packet radio TNCs, but I haven't actually tried it yet in
gateway mode with real SLIP. I set up the receive FIFO in the 16550 to
interrupt at the 1/4 full point, so at 9600 bps the code has an extra 12 ms
to respond to the interrupt. This is a big improvement.

Phil

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/27/89)

> Do you mean I can physically replace the 8250 on my serial board with
> a 16550?  Wouldn't there be some trouble with the difference between
> edge and level triggered interrupts?

The 16550A is a direct replacement for the 8250 and 16450.

> Has anyone actually tried this, and how did the 16550 perform compared
> to the 8250?

The 16550A chips are worth the cost of the chip in high speed applications
(greater than 9600 baud).  My machines' throughput on the serial lines
increased by 40% after replacing the 16450 chips with 16550A's.

--
Larry Snyder                               uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site                   Notre Dame, IN USA