[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] WD8003E

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) (05/28/88)

There were a lot of talk about WD8003E ethernet card from Western
Digital recently.  One of you mentioned that you purchased it for
about $209, if I remember correctly.  Well, I've checked with my
sales rep. in Santa Clara and San Jose and they told me that it would
cost me $399 (suggested retail price, I think) unless I buy large
quantity (we are talking over 200).  No discount for education institutions
apply either.  Please let me know of any vendor who may sell it for lower
price.

/hjb
Hwa Jin Bae          | The Devil made me do it...yeah, that's right!
Control Data Corp.   | (415) 463 - 6865
4234 Hacienda Drive  | bae@tis.llnl.gov			   (Internet)
Pleasanton, CA 94566 | {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!bae    (UUCP)

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/28/88)

In article <22227@tis.llnl.gov> bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:
>There were a lot of talk about WD8003E ethernet card from Western
>Digital recently.  One of you mentioned that you purchased it for
>about $209, if I remember correctly.  Well, I've checked with my

I bought mine from Wyle, in Santa Clara. 408 727-2500. Ask for Cary or
Mike Gravelle. (they work on commission and have been very nice to me.
you can mention my name if you wish)
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (05/31/88)

I recently purchased a small number of Western Digital WD8003E boards
through Anthem/Lionex.  The unit price was $235.  I believe that this
distributor has nationwide representation.  The Boston area office
is located in Wilmington.  The phone number is (617)657-5170.  Our
salesman's name is Bob Tierney.

jean@nrcvax.UUCP (Jean Sylwanowicz) (06/02/88)

>In article <22227@tis.llnl.gov> bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:
>>There were a lot of talk about WD8003E ethernet card from Western
>>Digital recently.  One of you mentioned that you purchased it for
>>about $209, if I remember correctly.  Well, I've checked with my

Network Research Corporation will be selling the WD8003 with TCP/IP
software (FUSION) together for $495 as of June 15.

Jean M. Sylwanowicz  X-322	Marketing Comm--Tech Support--Inside Sales
NRC 805-485-2700, 800-541-9508      (:|=             (:|=         (:|=
nrcvax!jean@TRWIND.TRW.COM                    rutgers!citvax!elroy!nrcvax!jean
hplabs!sdcrdcp!psivax!nrcvax!jean        cit-vax!elroy!nrcvax!jean@RUTGETS.EDU

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (06/11/88)

The 3C501 wouldn't work if you had something else using interrupt 1, or
I/O address 0x300...

The WD8003E board uses 8Kb of shared memory, which is usually configured to
appear on the host PC's bus somewhere between A000 and DE00.  The value is
set into an I/O port by the software when it initializes the board.  It looks
like the patch W-D gave you was intended to move the board from its normal
default of C400 to D000.  You could try other values, if you had a spot in
your PC's memory map that you were sure was unused.

You can criticize W-D's support people, or whoever wrote the Novell driver
you got, but the problem you describe isn't the fault of the board itself.
You've seen an example of poor user interface design, but it doesn't have
to be that way:  For instance, our PC/TCP package comes with an 'ifconfig'
command, which sets the shared memory address (among other things), and
our documentation describes what is going on.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

montjoy@ucece1.ece.uc.edu (Robert C. Montjoy) (10/09/89)

Hi.

I am preparing to buy a ethercard-plus from compuAid for 249. This is
without boot prom . I need to know if this will work with the ncsa
software for the pc.

Thanks,

Rob Montjoy

E-MAIL:		montjoy@uc.edu