[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Toshiba 1600 and Ethernet

bac@mips.COM ( Mgr. Systems Engineering) (10/07/89)

I'm seriously contemplating purchasing a Toshiba T1600 laptop.  With its
40MB disk and EGA display it more than meets my needs for portability.
What I am trying to determine is if it can also meet some of my office
needs.  Having heard of an X windows product for PC/DOS from Hummingbird
Communications, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this
product on EGA displays ?  I would also like to know if anyone has
successfully gotten a Toshiba laptop connected to a TCP/IP Ethernet and
if so, how ?  Or can 19.2Kbaud SLIP be substituted for Ethernet ?

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.  If I receive
sufficient and useful comments, I will summarize back to the net.

Thanks !

Bruce Clarke
--
UUCP:	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!bac	(or bac@mips.com)
DDD:	408-720-2909

x_hausken_p@inger.uio.no (Peter Hausken) (10/11/89)

In article <29037@abbott.mips.COM>, bac@mips.COM ( Mgr. Systems Engineering) writes:

>                       ..... I would also like to know if anyone has
> successfully gotten a Toshiba laptop connected to a TCP/IP Ethernet and
> if so, how ?  Or can 19.2Kbaud SLIP be substituted for Ethernet ?

I've got a T1600/40 with a WD8003 "Toshiba bus" card and use it with PC-NFS
My only problem is that I loose the network drives when I turn off the power.
So a reboot is needed when I move it from one  place to another and I want
network connection. Otherwise it is nice to be able to carry the machine any-
where and just hook up to the net when ever it's needed.

I'm also able to use NCSA Telnet, but then PC-NFS is disabled and a reboot
is needed to bring it back in.

    ///////  //  //   Peter Hausken, University of Oslo
   //   //  //  //    PB. 1059, Blindern, N-0316 OSLO 3, Norway
 //       //  //      Internet: peterh@ifi.uio.no