[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PCIP Manual format

LLOTNV@HGRRUG5.BITNET (10/25/89)

Dear Sirs,

        I recently purchased a PCIP based networking set based on the MIT
sources. With this the complete manual was delivered in a TeX format not
known to me (the ".mss") files. The format seems to be a lookalike from
TEXINFO from GNU.

        I suspect that this is a MIT special format. I would very much like
to print the manual myself on my Laserprinter, so I would like to get
this format.

        For your information: The PCIP version in my posession is:
                Release of March 1986, updated April 3, 1986

                                Sincerely yours,

                                Gerben Wierda

dab@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Bridgham) (10/25/89)

The formatter used for the PCIP manual and which uses .mss files
predates texinfo by just a few years.  It's called scribe and was
available for TOPS-20 and Unix systems (maybe others but's that where
I saw it).

There was a word formatter for the IBMPC (finalword) which was very
close to scribe.  It is now out of production.

If you are happy dealing with texinfo, I'd suggest a quick pass with
an editor to change the scribe commands the their nearest texinfo
commands and running with that.

						David Bridgham

romkey@amiga.UUCP (John Romkey) (10/25/89)

Ah yes...the MIT IBM PC TCP/IP PC/IP Programmer's Manual? Try saying
that three times fast.

The PC/IP manuals were written using the Scribe text formatter, which
preceeded TeXinfo. It's not a special MIT format. Scribe was
commercially available from Unilogic, in Pittsburgh, for many $$$.
Mark Of The Unicorn, in Cambridge, used to sell a Scribe clone for the
PC, called Final Word. A few years ago, they spun off Final Word
Corporation to handle the product. Either of these pieces of software
can probably print the manul, with some amount of work for FinalWord.

I don't know if either of these sources are still useful. It's been a
while.

Or, give TeXinfo a shot, maybe something interesting will come out the
other end.
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com
"And I'd rather have my county die for me" - Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplane

------- End of Forwarded Message

latzko@pilot.njin.net (Alex ) (10/26/89)

Hi,

It is in Scribe format.  Scribe is a text formatting system which
predates TeX and is ( to me at least ) much nicer to use.  There is a
program called s2latex which is floating around but you are better off
using Scribe.  Scribe is a commercial product from Scribe Systems.

have phunn.
alex

nasa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Daniel Poirot) (10/27/89)

In article <7971@asylum.SF.CA.US> dab@asylum.UUCP (Dave Bridgham) writes:

>The formatter used for the PCIP manual and which uses .mss files
>predates texinfo by just a few years.  It's called scribe and was
>available for TOPS-20 and Unix systems (maybe others but's that where
>I saw it).

This is all very interesting, but I am more interested in the items that
aren't in the text version of the manual.  For example, COOKIE, HOSTNAME,
GW, POP2, RED and REXEC aren't covered in the manual that I have.

I would like to use the software to login to the VAX, do remote printing,
read/send mail, and check the news.  With the PCIP software that I can
figure out, I am most of the way there.

>						David Bridgham

Daniel Poirot		nasa@attctc.dallas.tx.us
Lockheed C87            phone 713/483-2426
2400 Nasa Rd. 1         phax  713/483-6120
Houston, TX 77536	"A mind is a terrible thing."

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (10/27/89)

In article <7971@asylum.SF.CA.US> dab@asylum.UUCP (Dave Bridgham) writes:

>There was a word formatter for the IBMPC (finalword) which was very
>close to scribe.  It is now out of production.

FYI:   I belive that Borland bought Final Word and now sells it as
     Sprint.  You could check in comp.imb.pc to be sure.

cris

--
||   Gee, do you think it'd help if I plugged in both ends of this cable?   ||
Cris Simpson              Computer Engineer               VA Rehab R&D Center

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey) (10/27/89)

COOKIE we  didn't document because we it was a hack not to. It returns
a fortune cookie message from a fortune cookie server.

GW, POP2, RED and REXEC we didn't document because we didn't write
them. There's been no *major* work done on PC/IP in about four years.
Drew Perkins at CMU ported it to Microsoft C, and Dan Lanciani at
Harvard has collected a bunch of contributed programs like REXEC and
POP2 and some drivers and put it all together into a release. But
nobody's been tending the documentation in that time.

You're on your own.
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com
"And I'd rather have my county die for me" - Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplane

cws@KY.FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) (10/27/89)

That is in fact true.  We have both FinalWord and Sprint in house and FW
was bought by Borland as a base for Sprint.  Documents written with FW can
be converted for Sprint, but it is not as easy as one would hope (or as easy
as they claim).
					Cris.