[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Does anyone have a packet driver for token ring?

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (10/31/89)

Does a packet driver for IBM's token ring card exist?  Where can
I get it?

thanks,

Steven Wallace
ssw@lavanix.bacs.indiana.edu

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (10/31/89)

So far, nobody has done one.  This is because essentially all 802.5 cards
already come with a software driver for IBM's Adapter Support Interface
(TOKREUI or the LAN Support Program).  This driver provides similar
functionality to the Packet Driver, in that the protocol stack doesn't
care what hardware is in use, and multiple protocol stacks can use a
single hardware interface.

If the question you are actually asking is "How can I run freeware TCP/IP
on an IBM token ring card", the answer is that you can't just now.  Because
the header formats, MTUs and so forth for 802.5 are quite different from
Ethernet, you need a protocol stack that understands 802.5 at all levels.
So far, nobody has done this for the freeware packages (PC-IP already supports
two media types, ProNET-10 and Ethernet, so a 3rd could be added; I don't
know how married other packages might be to Ethernet).

The only 802.5-capable TCP/IPs for DOS are 1) our PC/TCP, 2) IBM's TCP/IP for
DOS and 3) the CMU/UMD evolutionary thread of IBM-licensed-academic-site-only
software, which eventually turned into their commercial package.  All three
handle IBM-style source-routing through bridges (RIF fields), and at least
ours can share the interface with other stacks (VINES, Netware).

I know another commercial vendor who reads this list is working on 802.5,
but I don't know if they're ready to announce yet, or if they're going
to do RIF fields...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (10/31/89)

In article <8910301801.AA16195@vax.ftp.com> jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
>The only 802.5-capable TCP/IPs for DOS are 1) our PC/TCP, 2) IBM's TCP/IP for
>DOS and 3) the CMU/UMD evolutionary thread of IBM-licensed-academic-site-only
>software, which eventually turned into their commercial package.  All three
>handle IBM-style source-routing through bridges (RIF fields), and at least
>ours can share the interface with other stacks (VINES, Netware).
>
>I know another commercial vendor who reads this list is working on 802.5,
>but I don't know if they're ready to announce yet, or if they're going
>to do RIF fields...

A PC-NFS token ring driver is available as a consulting special, but
we have not yet announced if/when it will be integrated into the
standard PC-NFS release. At this time it does not support RIF.

[So, James, were we the "other commercial vendor", or is there
someone else?]

Geoff Arnold,                    | Poetic justice: Senna pushing Prost off,
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.| restarting illegally, getting disqual-
Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM     | ified and thereby handing the 1989 World
Disclaimer: yeah, er... ok, sure | Championship to Prost. Way to go, Alain!