[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP under OS/2?

don@edison.UUCP (Don Kossman) (11/10/89)

i will shortly have the privilege (:-)) of porting a large
application to OS/2.  the source code and some nice net
resources (ie some Suns and Vaxen) are on an ethernet
which is physically accessible.

environment will be PS2/80 with IBM OS/2 1.2, extended edition.

short of rebooting the machine under DOS and using one of
the many available DOS TCP/IP packages, does anyone know of a
such a package for OS/2 with ethernet drivers for the 3COM Etherlink
card?

the IBM OS/2 manuals i've seen say nothing about TCP/IP support.

minimal functionality would be ftp and telnet, but the r* functions
would be nice, and so would lpr...

thanks for any info...

--
------
don kossman, sei information technology, los angeles

mmf@demon.siemens.com (Maura M Flatley) (11/10/89)

In article <294@edison.UUCP> don@seila.UUCP (Don Kossman) inquires
about TCP for OS/2:
>minimal functionality would be ftp and telnet, but the r* functions
>would be nice, and so would lpr...
We also are looking for TCP for OS/2, but all we need is a sockets library.
The Microsoft LAN Manager has TCP (and others), but requires too much memory.
Is there an alternative commercially available *now* (as opposed to "Real
Soon Now")?

Thanks for any information.

Maura Flatley (mmf@pegasus.siemens.com)

brown@dlogics.UUCP (Steve Brown) (11/11/89)

In article <294@edison.UUCP>, don@edison.UUCP (Don Kossman) writes:
> i will shortly have the privilege (:-)) of porting a large
> application to OS/2.  the source code and some nice net
> resources (ie some Suns and Vaxen) are on an ethernet
> which is physically accessible.
>
> environment will be PS2/80 with IBM OS/2 1.2, extended edition.
>
> short of rebooting the machine under DOS and using one of
> the many available DOS TCP/IP packages, does anyone know of a
> such a package for OS/2 with ethernet drivers for the 3COM Etherlink
> card?

   I just finished testing a copy of TCP/2 from Essex Systems (508-532-5511).
It is a thoughtful hookup between the BSD 4.2 PD TCP/IP and Microsoft
NDIS link level drivers that are used with OS/2 Lan Manager.  I have
successfully used it with the 3Com 503 board and the version of the
Western Digital 8003eb.  This has been used to talk with CMU's VAX/VMS
TCP/IP, Process Software's VAX/VMS and Xenix 2.3.2 running Excelan's
implementation.
   Observations:
	1. The installation instructions are really awful.  It wasn't until
I make a typo during my n-th attempt to start it up that I got it
to work.
	2. I wish the Telnet did flow control.  It's not really
useful without it.  Although this may be some error on my part.
	3. The FTP is solid.

    I'm really impressed with the architecture of the package.  Welding
an existing TCP/IP implementation to the NDIS drivers is really creative!
Congradulations to the developer.  Absolutely every LAN card supplier that
is interested in the OS/2 LM market will have to supply a NDIS link level
driver with his board and presto, TCP/IP too.
    If the developer is reading the net, I'd appreciate his e-mail address.

Steve Brown
Datalogics, Inc.
441 W. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60610
312-266-4380		uunet!dlogics!brown

ETSTJAN@hdetud11.tudelft.NL (Jan van Oorschot) (11/13/89)

Don,

I'am developing for OS/2 and was looking for the same products
(3COM/ethernet/LPR).
As far as I know there are the following products "available",

   IBM   ->    beta-version, internal use only, token-ring

   FTP   ->    beta version, not for sale

   HP/3COM ->  available in europe december '89

Nothing solid, but the version of 3com sounds nice.
Jan.

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ NOVELL ) (11/14/89)

In article <8911130205.aa26070@louie.udel.edu>, ETSTJAN@hdetud11.tudelft.NL (Jan van Oorschot) writes:

> I'am developing for OS/2 and was looking for the same products
> (3COM/ethernet/LPR).
> As far as I know there are the following products "available",
>    IBM   ->    beta-version, internal use only, token-ring
>    FTP   ->    beta version, not for sale
>    HP/3COM ->  available in europe december '89

In addition Excelan has announced and is in beta (shipping in Dec.)
these TCP/IP for OS/2 products--

(i) LAN WorkPLace for OS/2-- Developer's Toolkit
contains TCP/IP, NetBIOS and 4.3 BSD SUN toolkit compatible socket library
and NDI drivers for IBM Token Ring, 3COM and Excelan ethernet adapters

(ii) LAN WorkPLace for OS/2-- End User product
contains TCP/IP, NetBIOS and Networking apps
(Telnet- vt220, 3270; ftp; tftp; r-utils)
and NDI drivers for IBM Token Ring, 3COM and Excelan ethernet adapters

I can send you the literature information, if you need--
Please send me your name, address, phone and fax no.

Regards!
	                                 		+---+
	manoj goel,                                  	| +-+-+
	Product Marketing              			+-+-+ |
        Excelan/Novell, San Jose, CA 		 	  +---+
	(408) 473-8369 (voice) / 433-0775 (fax)
		When all else fails, read the instructions!
Regards!
	                                 			+---+
	manoj goel, x8369                               	+ +-+-+
	Product Marketing,             				+-+-+ |
	Desktop Products.                                  	  +---+