[net.micro] Apple // query

smq@hlexa.UUCP (Steven M. Queriolo) (02/26/85)

/* I posted this to net.micro.apple, but haven't received any responses */

         Software and Hardware advice needed for Apple //c

A close friend just received an Apple //c as a present and now has come
to me for advice.  After having boasted about the virtues of C, he is
not content with Basic and desires a C compiler.  In addition, he will
probably need a printer (although I believe he had an Epson from his
old Commodore-64 days).

Wanted Advice on the following:

C Compiler       Should be low cost, fairly complete, able to talk to
		 the printer port.  In addition, it should generate
		 native code that can be run without the compiler or
		 assembler.  It should also run under the built in
		 DOS and not require its own DOS.

Printer          Type of interface?, if he has the Epson, is that OK?
		 What about the Apple printer(s)?  Are there any major
		 advantages to Apple printers over others?

Editor           Is the one that comes with the //c OK?  Does one come
		 with the Compiler(?) what is the best?

Like most of us, he is on a budget, so price *IS* a consideration.

As you can probably tell, I have no experience with Apple and
would not like to suggest something inappropriate;  that is why
I posted here.  I'm reasonably sure that there is at least one
person in this group that already has a //c configured just this way.

Again, the net would prefer that you mail responses directly to me,
I will summarize to the net shortly.

Thanx...

-  Steven M. Queriolo  -  AT&T Bell Laboratories  -  ...ihnp4!hlexa!smq  -

--

-  Steven M. Queriolo  -  AT&T Bell Laboratories  -  ...ihnp4!hlexa!smq  -

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/01/85)

In article <4057@hlexa.UUCP> smq@hlexa.UUCP (Steven M. Queriolo) writes:

>/* I posted this to net.micro.apple, but haven't received any responses */
>

>         Software and Hardware advice needed for Apple //c

So you thought that bothering the rest of us would be a good idea?
Look, there's a REASON for net.micro.apple, and the rest of the
net.micro.foo  groups.  The reason is to keep the volume of stuff
in net.micro down to a resonable level.  Many of us do not have
an Apple, or an IBM, or a Trash-80, or whatever, and DON'T WANT
TO READ ABOUT THEM.  Understand?  Articles in net.micro should
be of interest to a general audience. (or about something which
doesn't generate enough traffic to justify it's own group)

class dismissed.

        _____
        |___|		the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_			Snoopy
       \_____/		tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
					-the fortune AI project