[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Analog versus DDS circuits for SLIP

martyne@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Martyne Hallgren) (11/14/89)

When I think of implementing SLIP between machines, I generally assume
that I will be using an analog circuit and modems.  Can a DDS circuit
with appropriate CSU/DSUs be used instead??  and if not, why not??

Has anyone done this??

Thanks in advance.

*  Martyne M. Hallgren       Internet:  martyne@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu *
*  Technical Advisor         Bitnet:    martyne@crnlthry               *
*  Cornell Theory Center     Phonenet:  607-255-9397                   *
*  265 Olin Hall                                                       *
*  Ithaca, NY 14853                                                    *
*                                                                      *
*" The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never    *
*  returns to its original size."  -Oliver Wendell Holmes              *

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (11/14/89)

In article <9289@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
martyne@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Martyne Hallgren) writes:
> When I think of implementing SLIP between machines, I generally assume
> that I will be using an analog circuit and modems.  Can a DDS circuit
> with appropriate CSU/DSUs be used instead??  and if not, why not??

In general, SLIP only needs a full-duplex 8 bit wide channel in order to
operate.  Asynchronous serial happens to be the most common such channel
for most people, but as long as both sides can talk to the media, there's
no reason you couldn't run SLIP over a DDS, or for that matter, a
bidirectional parallel port :-).

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--
@

dab@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Bridgham) (11/15/89)

The issue isn't analog vs. DDS but async vs. sync.  Generally when you
get up to DDS speeds (56kbps) you're using synchronous interfaces on
the ends.  SLIP provides framing.  Synchronous interfaces usually will
do the framing for you in hardware (either HDLC, SDLC, or BiSync) so
SLIP is redundant.
						David Bridgham