[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PD TCP/IP for Sniffer

CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) (11/14/89)

Does anyone know which (if any) Public Domain TCP/IP packages
will work on a Network General Sniffer? - The docs say that
it uses the 3COM (fingers stuttered above) 3C505.  In the
latest PCIP Scorecard the column for this card is rather
sparse.  Any hints/suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Califf                    (POSTMAST[ER])
Communications Software Coord  Internet: CALIFFM@BAYLOR.CCIS.BAYLOR.EDU
Baylor University C.C.I.S.     Bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR
B.U. Box 7268                  THEnet:   BAYLOR::CALIFFM
Waco, TX 76798-7268            Phone:    (817) 755-2711

DMPM@DUKEMC.BITNET (James Dryfoos- PostMaster) (11/14/89)

I BELIEVE THERE IS A 3C505 PACKET DRIVER ON ENG.CLEMSON.EDU
BUT DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.
IF YOU CAN FIND A PACKET DRIVER FOR YOUR CARD THEN MORE PACKAGES SHOULD
BE USEABLE.

-JIM

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (11/14/89)

As I understand it, there is (or will be) a Packet Driver for the
3C505 in the Clarkson collection.  I haven't used it.  I suspect that,
like 3Com's NDIS driver and our driver for the 3C505, it depends on
the standard 3Com ROM firmware (shipped with 3C505s from 3Com).  If
Network General uses the standard ROMs, or if their own ROMs provide
the standard functions, you might be able to get existing 3C505
drivers to run.  If they don't, your only option is to get a manual
for their ROMs and set to work...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

dbrown@apple.com (David Brown) (11/14/89)

In article <8911132103.AA24263@vax.ftp.com> jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van
Bokkelen) writes:
>  If
> Network General uses the standard ROMs, or if their own ROMs provide
> the standard functions, you might be able to get existing 3C505
> drivers to run.

I have tried the FTP PC/TCP (v2.02) software for the 3c505 on our Sniffer,
and it appears to work fine.  From Network General's tech notes (#1 & #4),
I found the settings for the ethernet card:
    I/O address 0300-0307
    IRQ 11
    DMA channel 6
and configured the FTP software appropriately.  I used a different
autoexec.bat & config.sys than when I run the Sniffer software - I haven't
tried to create an environment in which I can run either.

Network General Tech Note #1 describes how to configure Wollongong's
WIN/PC TCP/IP software for the Sniffer ethernet card, so other software
will probably run as well - you might even find some PD software (note
that both FTP & Wollongong are commercial products).

David Brown        415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems
(a subsidiary of Apple Computer)
1995 University Ave. Suite 350
Berkeley, CA 94704

srodawa@egrunix.UUCP (Ronald Srodawa) (11/14/89)

There are two packet drivers for the 3c505.  One was written expressly
for NCSA Telnet and has to be installed by recompiling the program.
The other was developed at Clemson University and conforms to the
FTP 1.08 generic driver spec.  I have tried both of these with only
moderate success.  I have gotten much farther with the Clemson driver,
but it "locks up" under heavy activity.  I am trying to find these
problems myself.  My personal interests are in (1) getting the NCSA
products to work well with the 3c505, then (2) port the driver to
Xenix to support PD TCP/IP products there.

wstef@beta.uucp (W. Gregg Stefancik) (11/14/89)

A packet driver for the 3C505 card is available via anonymous ftp from
eng.clemson.edu.  It is also included in the latest packet driver release
from Clarkson.

The driver currently has one bug which causes it to go out to lunch randomly.
We are currently working on this misfeature.  A new release of the driver
will be available via anonymous ftp as soon as this bug is squashed.

W. Gregg Stefancik < wstef@eng.clemson.edu >

krus@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Lars Povlsen) (11/16/89)

CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) writes:

>Does anyone know which (if any) Public Domain TCP/IP packages
>will work on a Network General Sniffer? - The docs say that
>it uses the 3COM (fingers stuttered above) 3C505.  In the
>latest PCIP Scorecard the column for this card is rather
>sparse.  Any hints/suggestions?
I have been running NCSA Telnet with a 505 for quite some time. It
took me some time to bugfix a driver I found, but its quite stable
now, and I have had no problems with it for last 3-4 months. Its
available from anom. FTP at
	freja.diku.dk:/var/spool/ftp/pub/pc/NCSA_Telnet/3C505.drv
,where there also is an executable.

This driver was done by Bruce Orhard, and I fixed some bugs in it
later on. This driver was made into the packetdriver at clemson. I
tried it out, but it bombed on me, - the clemson guys are working on
it.

			Lars Povlsen,
			Computer Science Dept., University of Copenhagen
			Denmark
			E-mail: krus@diku.dk
E-mail: krus@diku.dk / ...!mcvax!dkuug!diku!krus