[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Where is NCSA 3c503 stuff?

PKLAMMER%cudnvr@CCNUCD.COLORADO.EDU (Pete Klammer 303/556-3915) (11/20/89)

I'm getting confused...

> From:	COM%"bbn.com!clements@BBN.COM"      "Bob Clements" 15-NOV-1989 19:02:19.43
> I based the driver on my earlier WD8003E driver where the transceiver
> type is selected by a jumper.  In the 3C503 it is selected by software,
> and I forgot to deal with that.
> The current release of the driver (get it from Clarkson) has a command-line
> option to select thick versus thin.
> Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

1) Where is the center of the NCSA Telnet universe?  That is, what
site has the latest authoritative sources and drivers?  I thought it
was UIUC, but now I hear (above) that it's Clarkson?  (Nothing has
been heard from TELNET@NCSA.UIUC.EDU since 25-Aug-89, which contained
an unanswered 3C503 plea for help.)

A) What "Clarkson" is referred to above?  sun.soe.clarkson.edu? ftp
archive-server?  All I find there is "ncsa2.2tn modified for 3270"?

i) I'm getting the impression, albeit indirectly, that NCSA telnet can
use a "packet driver" mode of installation?  Is 3C503.COM a TSR which
TELBIN.EXE will mysteriously sense the presence of and therefore use?
All the documentation I have to date give instructions for embedded
device-type commands, as if the TELBIN.EXE has all drivers internally
coded (hardware=3c503?)?

*) Is there documented somewhere, "To run NCSA Telnet on a 3C503, do
this..." ?  I would just love to demonstrate some self-reliance, but
I'm running out of places to look.

/** --poko	" I'm half Estonian, which makes up for the other half. "
Pete Klammer/Systems Programmer/(303)556-3915	PKLAMMER@PIKES.COLORADO.EDU
CU-Denver Computing Services / Campus Box 169	BITNET: PKLAMMER@CUDENVER
1200 Larimer St NC2506 / Denver CO 80204-5300	UU:!boulder!pikes!pklammer **/

dave@TACKY.CS.OLEMISS.EDU ("David E. Johnson") (11/21/89)

  > 1) Where is the center of the NCSA Telnet universe?  That is, what
  > site has the latest authoritative sources and drivers?  I thought it
  > was UIUC, but now I hear (above) that it's Clarkson?  (Nothing has
  > been heard from TELNET@NCSA.UIUC.EDU since 25-Aug-89, which contained
  > an unanswered 3C503 plea for help.)

The official source for NCSA Telnet software is ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
Currently available is Telnet 2.2d and Telnet 2.3beta for the PC.
Clarkson offers a modified version of 2.2 which support tn3270 and
packet drivers.

  > A) What "Clarkson" is referred to above?  sun.soe.clarkson.edu? ftp
  > archive-server?  All I find there is "ncsa2.2tn modified for 3270"?

Clarkson is at that address. The file ncsa2.2tn is their version of
Telnet 2.2 which support tn3270. They also have packet drivers in a
collection for use with 2.2tn.

  > i) I'm getting the impression, albeit indirectly, that NCSA telnet can
  > use a "packet driver" mode of installation?  Is 3C503.COM a TSR which
  > TELBIN.EXE will mysteriously sense the presence of and therefore use?
  > All the documentation I have to date give instructions for embedded
  > device-type commands, as if the TELBIN.EXE has all drivers internally
  > coded (hardware=3c503?)?

NCSA Telnet 2.3beta does support packet drivers, as does Clarksons.
To use a packet driver the config.tel file must be modified to
describe this fact. Set hardware=packet, address=0, ioaddr=0. Before
you run Telnet, be sure to install the packet driver, which is a TSR.
NCSA Telnet 2.3beta also contains a 3c503 driver which does not
require a packet driver. Just say hardware=3c503.

  > *) Is there documented somewhere, "To run NCSA Telnet on a 3C503, do
  > this..." ?  I would just love to demonstrate some self-reliance, but
  > I'm running out of places to look.

Clarkson provides an updated version of the documentation which
describes the packet driver interface. As of now, NCSA Telnet 2.3beta
does not have updated documentation.

I hope this clears up some items for you.

David E. Johnson               ** Title:        Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science ** Telephone:    (601) 232-7396
The University of Mississippi  ** Internet:     dave@cs.olemiss.edu
336 Weir Hall                  **
University, MS  38677          **