[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] How fast is SLIP?

wcs) (11/21/89)

We have several locations with Ethernets and Suns, connected by a Datakit
network that can give us good async connectivity, and we'd like to
bridge or route the Suns together.  While there are some respectable
solutions to the problem, all of them require capital budget and time,
and we'd like to get something working quickly, performance not critical.

The obvious approach seems to be SLIP - we can nail up a 19200 baud
connection across the Datakit and snarf the software off uunet,
using our file server as a router, and maybe also use some of the spare
PCs lying around with pcbridge or pcroute.  RFC 1055 talks about
future header compression work - is this available yet, or does
uunet have the latest stuff?

How much CPU does this use?  Will it use up half the CPU (bad) or
<10% (ideal)?  We're mostly running Sun 3/150s with SunOS 3.5,
though the server may get upgraded to 4.0.X, and we have
ALM-2 boards as well as the built-in ports.  Can the Sun handle
19200, or just 9600?

Is more than one line possible on a single machine?
Aside from horsepower problems, will the software support it?
This is especially a concern for the pc products.

Also, does Wollongong support SLIP in a compatible fashion?
We have a few 3B2/300s which aren't very busy.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 api.att.com!wcs

#		We did it for the formlessness ...

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (11/21/89)

In article <5969@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs) writes:
>We have several locations with Ethernets and Suns, connected by a Datakit
>network that can give us good async connectivity, and we'd like to
>bridge or route the Suns together.  While there are some respectable
>solutions to the problem, all of them require capital budget and time,
>and we'd like to get something working quickly, performance not critical.

You might want to check around.  There was a tcp on top of datakit
(don't shoot) done in the mid-80s.  The version I saw ran on BSD 4.2
Vaxen with DataKit, but it believe it was built on other systems.  You
might also have real Internet access shortly.  I know that there is a
project to get Internet connectivity improved throughout the Labs.  If
you are real interested, I can check will some friends for more info.

>The obvious approach seems to be SLIP - we can nail up a 19200 baud
>connection across the Datakit and snarf the software off uunet,
>using our file server as a router, and maybe also use some of the spare
>PCs lying around with pcbridge or pcroute.  RFC 1055 talks about
>future header compression work - is this available yet, or does
>uunet have the latest stuff?

You could run SLIP over DataKit.  I am not clear why you would need the
IBM-PCs.  You could run SLIP under SunOS 3.5 and not worry about
the IBM-PCs.  The header compression (actually prediction) has not
be release yet (Hello Van?).  It should be out soon (we all hope).

>How much CPU does this use?  Will it use up half the CPU (bad) or
><10% (ideal)?  We're mostly running Sun 3/150s with SunOS 3.5,
>though the server may get upgraded to 4.0.X, and we have
>ALM-2 boards as well as the built-in ports.  Can the Sun handle
>19200, or just 9600?

CPU usage shouldn't be too bad.  The worst I have ever seen was about 5%.
I personally find the ALM-2 objectional, but there are patches from
Uof Toronto which make the ALM-2s usable for fast SLIP.  I have used
SLIP at 19.2K will the patches successfully,

>Is more than one line possible on a single machine?
>Aside from horsepower problems, will the software support it?
>This is especially a concern for the pc products.
>
>Also, does Wollongong support SLIP in a compatible fashion?
>We have a few 3B2/300s which aren't very busy.
>--
You can have more that one line if the software supports it.  KA9Q supports
multiple lines, I am not sure about pcroute, but I think not.  All the
Unix based versions of SLIP that I have seen support multiple SLIP
connections.  Wollongong does support a compatible SLIP.
--
Mark A. Verber
System Programmer, Physics Department, Ohio State University