[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3Com 503 Etherlink card

EE5990038@RVAX.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (Paul Charette) (11/18/89)

	Hello all.  I am a new memeber to this group, so pardon any ignorence
on my part.  I need an NCSA Telnet V2.2 compatible driver for the 3Com 503
Etherlink card.  Bob Clements said it was availible from Clarkson, but
didn't give a host name.  I looked about on omnigate.clarkson.edu, but to
no avail.  Could someone tell me specifically where I can FTP this driver
from?  Thanks in advance.

	By the way, anyone wishing to relate war-stories concerning NCSA
Telnet implementation on a PC with a 503 card, I'm all ears.

Regards,
Paul Charette
<ee5990038@rvax.arizona.edu>

Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Arizona

"Well sure it's hot, but it's a _dry_ heat ..."

PKLAMMER%cudnvr@CCNUCD.COLORADO.EDU (Pete Klammer 303/556-3915) (11/22/89)

> From:	EDU%"EE5990038@RVAX.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU"      "Paul Charette" 21-NOV-1989 00:16:32.24
> 	Hello all.  I am a new memeber to this group, so pardon any ignorence
> on my part.  I need an NCSA Telnet V2.2 compatible driver for the 3Com 503
> Etherlink card.  Bob Clements said it was availible from Clarkson, but
> didn't give a host name.  I looked about on omnigate.clarkson.edu, but to
> no avail.  Could someone tell me specifically where I can FTP this driver
> from?  Thanks in advance.
> 	By the way, anyone wishing to relate war-stories concerning NCSA
> Telnet implementation on a PC with a 503 card, I'm all ears.

The support for 3C503 in NCSA TELNET has been a well-kept secret for some time.
I've been mystified by an ftp site with a file 3C503.EXE obviously too small
to be a special telbin.exe, but with a README file that refers to 3C503.COM,
which isn't there, whereas the documentation with telbin.exe doesnt' say a
thing about running anything else...

I can't tell if someone has lost control of the project, or if we are just
witnessing distributed development and maintenance, such as KERMIT has.

Anyway, I finally got working telnet on my Z158 (XT clone) with a 3C503 by
getting ftp from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu file NCSA_Telnet/PC.2.3beta/tel23b3.exe,
which is a self-exploding archive file when you run it on a PC.  In CONFIG.TEL
I have:
	hardware=3c503
	interrupt=3
	address=dc00
	ioaddr=300
among other things.  The interrupt specification and/or the address parameter
may be redundant/superfluous; I understand the 3C503 can work with or without
shared for i/o, but in any case, this is working.  You can also get telpass.exe
from .../untarred at zaphod, run it on your PC, and will respond to ftp requests.
I have not found any working ftpbin.exe, yet, so I can't initiate ftp from PC.

Dave Johnson's posting 20-Nov has been the most helpful so far; I will forward
a copy of that to you.

/** --poko	" I'm half Estonian, which makes up for the other half. "
Pete Klammer/Systems Programmer/(303)556-3915	PKLAMMER@PIKES.COLORADO.EDU
CU-Denver Computing Services / Campus Box 169	BITNET: PKLAMMER@CUDENVER
1200 Larimer St NC2506 / Denver CO 80204-5300	UU:!boulder!pikes!pklammer **/