[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] RE-RE: FTP via modem, or fast kermit

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (11/27/89)

John,
        You asked about fast PC to <any> host file transfer programs, remarking
that Kermit is slow. I think it would be worth while being a little specific
about what conditions the file is transferred (between what kind of machines,
identical or much different), through what kinds of communications channels,
and finally measure the speed by actually doing it. I think that you will
find that the major communications programs are running as fast as conditions
and constraints will allow.
        Joe D.

hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (11/30/89)

In article <14064@cc.usu.edu> JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:
>John,
>        You asked about fast PC to <any> host file transfer programs, remarking
>that Kermit is slow. I think it would be worth while being a little specific
>about what conditions the file is transferred (between what kind of machines,
>identical or much different), through what kinds of communications channels,
>and finally measure the speed by actually doing it. I think that you will
>find that the major communications programs are running as fast as conditions
>and constraints will allow.
>        Joe D.

Some old versions of kermit only permit small packet sizes; newer
versions permit up to 1K, I believe, which dramatically increases
throughput (far fewer ack/naks) unless the line is noisy.  That's why
lots of people have preferred zmodem over kermit for years.

 //=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\\
|| Larry J. Hughes, Senior Programmer ||  hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu   ||
||        Indiana University          ||                                   ||
||   University Computing Services    ||  "The person who knows everything ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass     ||     has a lot to learn."          ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405        ||                                   ||
||         (812) 855-9255             ||  Disclaimer: See quote above.     ||
 \\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=//

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/01/89)

In article <30492@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (larry
hughes) writes:
> Some old versions of kermit only permit small packet sizes; newer
> versions permit up to 1K, I believe, which dramatically increases
> throughput (far fewer ack/naks) unless the line is noisy.

Modern kermits also support sliding windows, which is another nice
performance win.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation