[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Wollongong TCP/IP and Printer Sharing

jml@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (08/03/89)

I have ordered TCP/IP software for DOS from Wollongong. One
of the things I would like to do is have the PCs share a
printer tied to a Unix host.

To do this, I think I need to capture output from
the devices lptx: and re-route it into an rsh <sysname> lp
type command. I've seen programs that captured lptx: output
and put it into a file, so I assume this may be possible.

Does someone know how to accomplish this? Is there software,
commercial or otherwise to do this? Thanks!

| Michael Lodman               Mike.Lodman@SanDiego.NCR.COM |
| NCR Corporation  -  Distributed Systems Lab  -  San Diego |
| 9900 Old Grove Rd.  San Diego, CA.  92131  (619) 693-5353 |

mikeh@dell.dell.com (Mike Hammel) (08/05/89)

:
>Does someone know how to accomplish this? Is there software,
>commercial or otherwise to do this? Thanks!

ISC(actually Locus) has a package known as PC-Interface.  It has a command,
PRINTER, that allows you to redirect output from DOS or applications
to UNIX printers.

Michael J. Hammel   | UUCP(preferred): ...!cs.utexas.edu!dell!Kepler!mjhammel
Dell Computer Corp. | Also: ...!dell!dell!mikeh  or 73377.3467@compuserve.com
Austin, TX	    | Phone: 512-338-4400 ext 7169
	    	    | "I know engineers, they looooove to change things"
Disclaimer:	    |:
	These are my views, not necessarily those of the nice folks I work for.

nobody@mimsy.UUCP (Nobody) (08/08/89)

I'd like to try and play so TCP-IP software on ibmpc. I have an ibmpc-xt
is there any hardward requirement? Where can I get a demo-copy ?
From: chenn@tame.cs.umd.edu (Jenn-San Peter Chenn)

dave@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU (Dave Camp) (11/30/89)

>In article <464@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>>of the things I would like to do is have the PCs share a
>>printer tied to a Unix host.
>:
>>Does someone know how to accomplish this? Is there software,
>>commercial or otherwise to do this? Thanks!
>
>ISC(actually Locus) has a package known as PC-Interface.  It has a command,
>PRINTER, that allows you to redirect output from DOS or applications
>to UNIX printers.
>
>Michael J. Hammel   | UUCP(preferred): ...!cs.utexas.edu!dell!Kepler!mjhammel
>Dell Computer Corp. | Also: ...!dell!dell!mikeh  or 73377.3467@compuserve.com
>Austin, TX	    | Phone: 512-338-4400 ext 7169
>	    	    | "I know engineers, they looooove to change things"
>Disclaimer:	    |:
>	These are my views, not necessarily those of the nice folks I work for.

I have hacked out a simple solution to this problem.  We do not use it
in production, so I do not know how it holds up.

We have NCSA_Telnet running on the PC's.  I have written a simple .bat
file that uses the ftp command to upload the text file to the Unix host.
Its destination filename is actually a named pipe.  This pipe is read by
the 'fileget' command, which I wrote, that issues a command for each
file it receives.  The command it issues is 'lpr' for this application.
One problem is fileget is running as root, so all of the printouts get
'root' on the banner page instead of the username.  One possible
solution is to prepare a secondary banner page on each user's PC and
prepend that to the file before uploading.

If anyone wants the source so that they can play with it, let me know.
-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (12/02/89)

In article <8911300708.AA14015@wubios.WUstl.EDU> dave@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU (Dave Camp) writes:

>>In article <464@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>>>of the things I would like to do is have the PCs share a
>>>printer tied to a Unix host.
>>:
>>>Does someone know how to accomplish this? Is there software,
>>>commercial or otherwise to do this? Thanks!
.
. etc.
.

>I have hacked out a simple solution to this problem.  We do not use it
>in production, so I do not know how it holds up.

The FTP server at NCSA also has a version of LPR for DOS, which
permits real LPR queueing.  It's not part of the standard NCSA package;
it's in the /contrib directory (or something close to that anyway).

It comes to us compliments of Paul Hilchey of University of
British Columbia.

The only caveat I could find, after testing it, is that it doesn't
work with packet drivers.  But I still like it!

 //=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\\
|| Larry J. Hughes, Senior Programmer ||  hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu   ||
||        Indiana University          ||                                   ||
||   University Computing Services    ||  "The person who knows everything ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass     ||     has a lot to learn."          ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405        ||                                   ||
||         (812) 855-9255             ||  Disclaimer: See quote above.     ||
 \\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=//

caasi@SDSU.EDU (Richard Caasi) (12/05/89)

> The FTP server at NCSA also has a version of LPR for DOS, which
> permits real LPR queueing.  It's not part of the standard NCSA package;
> it's in the /contrib directory (or something close to that anyway).

That file is called lpr.zip.  Is this some kind of archive format called
zip?  I have no way of "un-zipping" this file.  Is there a way I could get
UNZIP or get lpr.zip in some other format?

Thanks,

Richard Caasi                          caasi@sdsu.edu
San Diego State University
University Computing Services
San Diego, California 92182

harish@guille.ece.orst.edu (Harish Pillay) (12/06/89)

In article <8912041827.AA21067@sdsu.edu> caasi@SDSU.EDU (Richard Caasi) writes:
|> The FTP server at NCSA also has a version of LPR for DOS, which
|> permits real LPR queueing.  It's not part of the standard NCSA package;
|> it's in the /contrib directory (or something close to that anyway).
|
|That file is called lpr.zip.  Is this some kind of archive format called
|zip?  I have no way of "un-zipping" this file.  Is there a way I could get
|UNZIP or get lpr.zip in some other format?
|
|Thanks,
|
|Richard Caasi                          caasi@sdsu.edu
|San Diego State University
|University Computing Services
|San Diego, California 92182

Richard,
   The zip un/archiving program is available via anonymous ftp from
simtel20.arpa [26.2.0.74].  Both the dos and OS/2 versions are available.
It is called PKZIP.
   Hope this helps.

Harish Pillay                        harish@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University