[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] KA9Q query

harish@guille.ece.orst.edu (Harish Pillay) (12/07/89)

I've got PK's KA9Q running and am able to ftp into my machine and all.
Problem I have is in telnetting.  I get the connect message and all,
but nothing appears on the machine that I'm telnetting from.  The version
I'm using was ftp'ed from flash.bellcore.com a few days ago so I'd assume
that to be the latest.

Is there some file in the likes of ftpusers that needs to be set up? Also,
I'm having difficulty telnetting from my AT running net.exe by just using
the name of the machine.  I've defined the name of the machine in the
hosts.net file and put it in the root directory but did not work.

I'd appreciate any help.  IMHO, I find KA9Q to be a superb piece of
software!

--
Harish Pillay                        harish@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (12/07/89)

In article <14278@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> harish@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Harish Pillay) writes:

>I've got PK's KA9Q running and am able to ftp into my machine and all.
>Problem I have is in telnetting.  I get the connect message and all,
>but nothing appears on the machine that I'm telnetting from.

It's not clear from your message, but if you're trying to telnet INTO
a machine running KA9Q, then what you see is exactly what should happen.
The telnet "server" in my code is not a real server; it simply creates a
telnet session on the remote machine so the two operators can chat in
real time (like UNIX "write").

I know, it's a bit of a crock, but the hams who use my package screamed for
it (keyboard chatting, as crude as it may be, is a common application for
amateur packet radio, and it is actually useful at times.) Anders Klemets
(klemets@sics.se) has hacked in a different Telnet server that actually
allows you to issue commands to NET over the network, but it's not complete
(you can't issue commands that create tasks, like sessions) and there's no
security. One of these days we'll do a "real" server, once I revamp the way
session output is done.

Phil

In article <18513@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) writes:
>In article <14278@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> harish@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Harish Pillay) writes:
>>
>>I've got PK's KA9Q running and am able to ftp into my machine and all.
>>Problem I have is in telnetting.  I get the connect message and all,
>>but nothing appears on the machine that I'm telnetting from.
>
>It's not clear from your message, but if you're trying to telnet INTO
>a machine running KA9Q, then what you see is exactly what should happen.
>The telnet "server" in my code is not a real server; it simply creates a
>telnet session on the remote machine so the two operators can chat in
>real time (like UNIX "write").
>
>I know, it's a bit of a crock, but the hams who use my package screamed for
>it (keyboard chatting, as crude as it may be, is a common application for
>amateur packet radio, and it is actually useful at times.) Anders Klemets
>(klemets@sics.se) has hacked in a different Telnet server that actually
>allows you to issue commands to NET over the network, but it's not complete
>(you can't issue commands that create tasks, like sessions) and there's no
>security. One of these days we'll do a "real" server, once I revamp the way
>session output is done.
>
>Phil

Phil, thanks for your explanation.  I've got hold of the source code and I
think I've got it figured out.  Telnetting into a machine running KA9Q
works like a unix talk program. That's fine and I think it serves some good.
Actually, it might have been less misleading if it was labelled as a talk-like
service (at least for the time being).

I've also figured out how to:"net> telnet myhost" working.  It tooks a few
minutes of browsing through the code.  What is needed is a domain.txt file
in the root directory.  This file has contents such as follows (which was
created by pinging hosts after a domain server was added):

my domain.txt file contents
.	86400	IN	SOA	NIC.DDN.MIL.	HOSTMASTER.NIC.DDN.MIL.	891204	1800	300	604800	86400
guille.ece.orst.edu.	43200	IN	CNAME	ECE.ORST.EDU.
ECE.ORST.EDU.	43200	IN	A	128.193.48.1
nic.ddn.mil.	468772	IN	A	26.0.0.73
nic.ddn.mil.	468772	IN	A	10.0.0.51
.	468772	IN	NS	NIC.DDN.MIL.
.	468772	IN	NS	AOS.BRL.MIL.
.	468772	IN	NS	A.ISI.EDU.
.	468772	IN	NS	GUNTER-ADAM.AF.MIL.
.	468772	IN	NS	C.NYSER.NET.
.	468772	IN	NS	TERP.UMD.EDU.
.	468772	IN	NS	NS.NASA.GOV.
AOS.BRL.MIL.	499080	IN	A	128.20.1.2
AOS.BRL.MIL.	499080	IN	A	192.5.25.82
A.ISI.EDU.	468772	IN	A	26.3.0.103
GUNTER-ADAM.AF.MIL.	468772	IN	A	26.1.0.13
C.NYSER.NET.	468772	IN	A	192.33.4.12
TERP.UMD.EDU.	468772	IN	A	128.8.10.90
NS.NASA.GOV.	352376	IN	A	128.102.16.10
ECE.ORST.EDU.	43200	IN	SOA	ECE.ORST.EDU.	root.ECE.ORST.EDU.	50000327	21600	900	3600000	43200

I believe such a file is a standard one that is available on Unix boxes.
In my case, I pretty much bootstraped it.

-----
Harish Pillay                        harish@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University

In article <18513@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) writes:

   I know, it's a bit of a crock, but the hams who use my package screamed for
   it (keyboard chatting, as crude as it may be, is a common application for
   amateur packet radio, and it is actually useful at times.) Anders Klemets
   (klemets@sics.se) has hacked in a different Telnet server that actually
   allows you to issue commands to NET over the network, but it's not complete
   (you can't issue commands that create tasks, like sessions) and there's no
   security. One of these days we'll do a "real" server, once I revamp the way
   session output is done.

Um, Phil, my "real" server solves all the above problems.
-russ
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

U0A61@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU ("Bryan, Jerry") (12/09/89)

>Um, Phil, my "real" server solves all the above problems.
>-russ
>--
>--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])

What do you mean a "real" server?  Can you run TELNET server on
your PC, log on to it from elsewhere, and run all standard PC
programs remotely just as if you were typing on the PC itself?

In article <8912082234.aa01924@louie.udel.edu> U0A61@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU ("Bryan, Jerry") writes:

   >Um, Phil, my "real" server solves all the above problems.
   >--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])

   What do you mean a "real" server?  Can you run TELNET server on
   your PC, log on to it from elsewhere, and run all standard PC
   programs remotely just as if you were typing on the PC itself?

In principle, yes.  In practice, I don't have mappings from escape sequences
to the PC keycodes.  That is a relatively straightforward thing to do.  I
didn't do it because the project it was intended for got nixed[1].  I posted
a message here quite a while ago and got very few inquiries.  Now I find
that people are hopping up and down about it (as I thought they should).

    [1] They went ahead and did it anyway without our help.  NIH strikes again.

Also, it only works for 25 line text mode applications.  This is because it
uses ANSI escape sequences to perform the updating.

So since people seem to be so interested in it now, I'll put some time into
improving it.  Stay tuned...