[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Sun PC-NFS problem with MS-DOS v 4.0

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (12/05/89)

We just recently upgraded a PC system to MS-DOS v 4.0 and
discovered a variety of problems, such as, a DIR on a
remote volume producing an "Invalid Function" message;
inability to examine or copy any files (we get Drive not Ready
messages), and other wonderful such things.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix other than going back
to DOS 3.3?

Herb Lison

roe@sobmips.UUCP (r.peterson) (12/06/89)

From article <13284@garnet.BBN.COM>, by hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison):
> We just recently upgraded a PC system to MS-DOS v 4.0 and
> discovered a variety of problems, such as, a DIR on a
> remote volume producing an "Invalid Function" message;
> inability to examine or copy any files (we get Drive not Ready
> messages), and other wonderful such things.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

Yup.

> Is there a fix other than going back to DOS 3.3?

Nope.

General commentary on the current state of MSDOS4.0 - its' shot full of
bugs in many places, and should be avoided.
--
One makes strong assumptions delving	       Roe Peterson
into the beginning of the universe...	       {uunet,mcgill-vision}!sobeco!roe

stone@quest.UUCP (Scott Stone) (12/08/89)

roe@sobmips.UUCP (r.peterson) writes:
>From article <13284@garnet.BBN.COM>, by hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison):
>> We just recently upgraded a PC system to MS-DOS v 4.0 and
>> discovered a variety of problems, such as, a DIR on a
>> remote volume producing an "Invalid Function" message;
>> inability to examine or copy any files (we get Drive not Ready
>> messages), and other wonderful such things.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?

>Yup.

>> Is there a fix other than going back to DOS 3.3?

>Nope.

>General commentary on the current state of MSDOS4.0 - its' shot full of
>bugs in many places, and should be avoided.

Well, Roe... What a useless commentary (just my opinion).  I don't imagine
that this helped him much at all.  I guess it did allow you to state
your opinion on MS-DOS though, which was nearly as useful.
*sigh*  Anyway...

Herb, Call SUN at 1-800-USA-4-SUN (1-800-872-4786), and ask for help
on this.  I asked them, and they suggested that the latest release (3.0.1)
of PC-NFS was necessary to work with MS-DOS 4.0.  After I called them, I
installed PC-NFS 3.0.1, (and the new pcnfsd that came with it onto the
server), on a 386 based PC with MS-DOS 4.0.  It works great.  If there
are bugs (?) I haven't found them yet...
--
*
* Scott T. Stone	{rosevax,bungia}!quest!stone

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (12/10/89)

This problem with DOS 4.x printing out 'Illegal Function' or something like
that is quite common on a lot of LANs until they upgrade.

There were some new calls added to INT21 AH=57 set file/date time.  These
are totally undocumented but are required by DIR.  On our LAN we take
over
function 57 except we pass along these new calls to DOS since we couldn't
figure out what they did.  And believe me we tried.  I have a very long
list of undocumented functions which we have created during the development of
a FILE SHAREING LAN.