[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PKT-driver and MIT/CMU Netwatch Q.

bav@fiol.uib.no (Bjorn Asle Valde) (12/15/89)

At my site I distribute the MIT/CMU pc-ip compiled for the packet driver
interface. For obvious reasons this is much better than having to compile
N*ether-card-type = much work ... Now, there's a catch-22 here; you can
not compile and get the netwatch to run as distributed. I had a feeling that
this was because netwatch needs promiscous mode, but I'm not able to verify
this by just browsing the source code (perhaps one day when I grow up..:-).
Anyway, netwatch is much needed around the place (no, I can not ask them
*all* to buy a Sniffer :-), so I sent a letter to the author of the packet
driver distributed with PC-IP and asked.

Here's the educated reply (Thanks a lot, Karl!):

> From: karl@asylum.sf.ca.us (Karl Auerbach)
>
> The standard PC-IP netwatch uses a special interface to the device
> driver -- a ring buffer with 60 byte slots.  This is completely
> different from the packet driver interface.  Hence the fact that the
> off-the-shell netwatch doesn't even try to link with the packet driver
> interface.  The more recent packet driver specifications can do
> promiscuous mode reception and I believe there exists a netwatch which
> uses this (but beware that not all packet drivers support the new
> modes.)  Unfortunately, I don't know who has done this work.  You
> might want to send a query onto the distribution list.
>
>		Good Luck
>					--karl--

So, the question is: Has anyone got netwatch to work with the packet driver,
and if yes is it available?

Regards; Bjorn
; Bjorn Asle Valde				bav@fiol.uib.no
; The Computing Centre, University of Bergen	valde@rose.uib.uninett
; HiB, Thormohlensgate 55,			edmbv@nobergen.bitnet
; N-5008 Bergen, Norway.   		        Phones:	+47-5-544214
; #include <stdDisclaimer.h>                    (fax)   +47-5-544299