[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Can ka9q be used as a gateway between 2 ethernet cards?

vijay@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV (Vijay Subramaniam) (12/16/89)

We have an IBM PC with 2 3Comm 3c501 ethernet cards in it.
1 Ethernet card is connected to our local PC thin wire ethernet
The other is connected to our main Ethernet.
Is it possible to get KA9Q to transfer packets between both ethernet cards?
We can get that 1 pc to talk to both nets, but I can't figure out
how to get anything on the pc ethernet to talk to our main ethernet
and vice versa
Can someone tell me how to fix this?
Is there some other program that can do this?
We tried pcbridge,but it does not support the 3c501 cards.

					Thanks,

					Vijay

jpd@pc.usl.edu (DugalJP) (12/20/89)

>We have an IBM PC with 2 3Comm 3c501 ethernet cards in it.
>Is it possible to get KA9Q to transfer packets between both ethernet cards?

If the IP addresses are distinct in each subnet, then you should be
able to use the route command to accomplish that:
	route add [130.70.2]/24 ec0
	route add [130.70.4]/24 ec1
or perhaps set the route default to ecX and explicitly route all ip subnets
that map into ecY.

-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@w5ddl
Computing Center		US Mail: PO Box 42770  Lafayette, LA  70504
University of Southwestern LA.	Tel. 318-231-6417	U.S.A.
--

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (12/21/89)

In article <1095@rouge.usl.edu> jpd@pc.usl.edu (DugalJP) writes:
>>We have an IBM PC with 2 3Comm 3c501 ethernet cards in it.
>>Is it possible to get KA9Q to transfer packets between both ethernet cards?
>
>If the IP addresses are distinct in each subnet, then you should be
>able to use the route command to accomplish that:
>	route add [130.70.2]/24 ec0
>	route add [130.70.4]/24 ec1
>or perhaps set the route default to ecX and explicitly route all ip subnets
>that map into ecY.

In fact, we're doing that very successfully here at Waterloo.  We have
a locally-developed LAN (called Watstar), and we use a 386 running NOS
to route packets between Watstar and the Ethernet.

We use packet drivers on both sides.  On the Ethernet side we have a driver
supplied by Gateway Communications for their Ethernet card, on the Watstar
side we have a packet driver we developed locally that encapsulates IP
packets in Watstar packets.

Works like a charm.

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu OR broehl@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca