[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Public Domain PC NFS software

ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) (12/21/89)

I have been scouring the net lately for public domain networking software for
the PC, with the ultimate goal of getting some PC AT's to access files on a
Sun 3 file server.

The software I have found so far is considerable. The following list is
certainly incomplete/inaccurate, as I'm new to all this:

PC/IP:  Provides IP, UDP, and simplified TCP for the PC. Can be used with
         several types of Ethernet cards, plus serial.

KA9Q:  Provides TCP/IP for PC, plus UDP, SMTP, and more. Applications provided
       include telnet, ftp, finger, ping. Works with 3Com Etherlink & serial.

SLIP:  Provides IP capability over serial lines on a Unix host.

PC NFS Server:  Implements the NFS server-side on a PC.

PCrouter:  Turns a PC w/ ethernet card into an IP router.

PCbridge:  Turns a PC w/ ethernet card into an ethernet bridge.

What I'd like to know whether there's anything available out there that will do
the NFS *client-side* on a PC. Also any extensions/clarifications to the
above list would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Georg.
--
Georg Feil                                 Internet: ghfeil@white.toronto.edu
                                             -or-  : georg@sgl.ists.ca

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (12/21/89)

In article <89Dec20.211135est.27295@snow.white.toronto.edu> ghfeil@white.toronto.edu (Georg Feil) writes:
>What I'd like to know whether there's anything available out there that will do
>the NFS *client-side* on a PC. Also any extensions/clarifications to the
>above list would be appreciated.

We're looking for the same thing, and so are a lot of other people.  The
problem is that to implement such a beast, you need to do implement a
redirector for DOS; doing so without a knowledge of the internal "hooks"
in DOS 3.x+ is kludgy at best.

Getting those "hooks" is non-trivial; you either have to license from
Microsoft (many $$$, I suspect) or disassemble DOS and figure it out for
yourself.  People have, I'm sure, done the latter; the amount of work
involved in doing so has kept them from sharing the information for
free.  Note that Interrupt List that's been on the net for a while has
a lot of ???  when it comes to the redirector...
--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu OR broehl@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca