jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/26/89)

   Date: 22 Dec 89 21:51:58 GMT
   From: Bill Poitras <polygen!bill@cs.bu.edu>

	   Besides through domain name servers, is there another way to specify
   the IP address of a host.  Is there a way to point the packet driver to
   a table similar to an /etc/hosts file. ....

This is not a matter for the Packet Driver.  It is a MAC-layer construct,
and doesn't have any mandate for high-level items like name-to-address
translation.

What you need to do depends on the trade-off between time and money.  If
you have lots of time and no money, take the freeware TCP/IP you're using
and hack a host table parser into its name resolver (in PC-IP, look at
SRCLIB\NAMERES).  Alternatively, switch to another freeware package that
already has it, if there is one (KA9Q might, I don't think NCSA does).
If you have money and no time, buy a commercial product that already has
support for a host table (I know our PC/TCP, Sun's PC-NFS and NRC's
Fusion for DOS have host tables, I think TWG's WIN/PC does, I don't know
about Beame & Whiteside's or 3Com's).

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (12/27/89)

In article <8912261438.AA00181@vax.ftp.com>, jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM
 (James Van Bokkelen) wrote:
>switch to another freeware package that already has it, if there is one
>(KA9Q might, I don't think NCSA does).

Both KA9Q (pre-NOS and NOS version) and NCSA Telnet support static hosts
tables in a format similar (but not identical) to /etc/hosts.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (12/28/89)

In article <121@van-bc.UUCP> skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
>Both KA9Q (pre-NOS and NOS version) and NCSA Telnet support static hosts
>tables in a format similar (but not identical) to /etc/hosts.

My "pre NOS" version supports a hosts.txt file, with format identical to the
BSD UNIX /etc/hosts file. The NOS version gets rid of hosts.txt in favor of
domain.txt, which is used to cache entries in standard domain name database
format. You "seed" it with entries for your own machine and any others you
need to get started, then additional entries are automatically appended as
they arrive from a domain name server.

Phil