[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] using SLIP with KA9Q - *** AGAIN ***

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (01/07/90)

I had posted an article asking for help on a SLIP/Ethernet gateway using
KA9Q.  Thank you everyone that replied.  Unfortunately, one of the replys I
got, the one that was most helpful, I misplaced (read "I deleted the mail message, and lost the printout") that reply.  The advice that person gave was using
'arp publish' in the autoexec.net.  Could that person please send your
autoexec.net file again.

	And also I want to ask you this.  After you set up the SLIP/Ethernet
computer, what does the 'route' and 'arp' line in the autoexec.net in the
SLIP only computer look like?  I almost have the setup I am looking for.  On
the subject of connecting the two computers, can I setup the SLIP/Ethernet
computer with a modem in autoanswer mode, and then start net.  On the
other side, do I just dial up the SLIP/Ethernet computer, and again, start net?
I know these are a lot of questions, but they are things that I want to make
sure of, so I can rule them out when I am debugging my setup.  Thanks for
any help you can give me.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (01/08/90)

In article <660@fred.UUCP>, bill@fred.UUCP (Bill Poitras) wrote:
>After you set up the SLIP/Ethernet computer, what does the 'route' and
>'arp' line in the autoexec.net in the SLIP only computer look like?

The "arp" command is only useful if the computer is connected to Ethernet
directly, so your SLIP-only computer wouldn't need it.

If your SLIP-only computer only has one SLIP link, and thus that link is
the link to the "outside" world, then the only "route" command you need is
the one that sets a default route to point everything to your SLIP neighbour.
It will look like:

   route add default (LINK)

where (LINK) is the name you gave to the SLIP link in the "attach" command
for it.  e.g. sl0.

>On the subject of connecting the two computers, can I setup the
>SLIP/Ethernet computer with a modem in autoanswer mode, and then
>start net.  On the other side, do I just dial up the SLIP/Ethernet
>computer, and again, start net?

Yes, that will work.  However, security could be a problem.  Since anyone
that knows the phone number and your SLIP-only computer's IP address could
call the SLIP/Ethernet computer up and be attached to your network and
impersonate your SLIP-only computer.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl