[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] In-reply-to: KA9Q NOS version and DNS

Mark@HAMSTER.BUSINESS.UWO.CA (Mark Bramwell VE3PZR) (01/11/90)

> Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 90 09:01:47 EST
> Sender: PCIP <PCIP-L@OHSTVMA.bitnet>
> Comments:     To: PCIP Newsgroup <PCIP@udel.edu>
> Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was PCIP-L@BYUVM
> From: Brian Holmes <BHOLMES%CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>
> Subject:      KA9Q NOS version and DNS
> To: Multiple recipients of list PCIP-L <PCIP-L@OHSTVMA.bitnet>
>
> What are the commands to set up the NOS version og KA9Q
> to work with the DNS?
>
>                         Brian Holmes
>                         UCC Operating Systems & Communications
>
> PHONE:    (313) 577-3750  FAX=577-5626          Wayne State University
> BITNET:   BHOLMES@WAYNEST1                      5925 Woodward
> INTERNET: BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU              Detroit, MI 48202  U.S.A

Here is a copy of my autoexec.net.  I run a WD8003E ethernet card and a
kiss tnc in an XT.  Hope you see something in there.  Sometimes it's
hard to figure out what is required.   129.100.22.1 is the building router.
The 44.x.x.x are ham addresses on the tnc side of ip.

#  A U T O E X E C . N E T
#
#  The configuration file for the NET.EXE program...  this file
#  *MUST* be in the root directory ( \ ) of your current disk when
#  NET.EXE is run!
#
#  Note: NET.EXE ignores all lines beginning with a pound sign (#).
#
#  **********************************************************
#  **** Read USEGUIDE.DOC to help understand this file! *****
#  **********************************************************
#
#    There are many commands which must be provided to NET.EXE
#    each time it is started to configure the program.  To keep
#    from having to type them by hand each time, we put them in
#    this file, which is read each time NET starts up.  Commands
#    in this configuration file are entered exactly as they would
#    be typed at the keyboard in the program.
#
#    We've tried to give you intelligent default values for each of
#    the commands below.  You need to read completely through this
#    file, changing things as you go.  If you're not sure what to
#    do with a command, try leaving it like it is!  Once you become
#    familiar with the package, you'll no doubt find things to change.
#    Once you're up and running and are all set, you can delete some or
#    all of the comment lines (the ones that start with '#') to save
#    disk space and make the program load faster, if you wish.
#
#-----------------------------------------------
#
# This entry tells NET.EXE the name of your machine. The suffix
# 'ampr' is not officially confirmed *yet*, but for now we'll use
# it to identify this station as an "AMateur Packet Radio" station.
# Your hostname will show up in mail headers, etc.
#
hostname HAMSTER.business.uwo.ca
#
#-----------------------------------------------
#
# The next line does the same thing that "MYCALL" did in your AX.25
# TNC... it identifies the callsign you're using on the air in AX.25
# packets.
#
ax25 mycall VE3UWO
#
#-----------------------------------------------
#
# This one contains your IP address.  If you have not as yet
# obtained an IP address you may temporarily use the one shown
# but insert a random number (between 1 and 255) in lieu of
# the '*'.  Try to insure that no one else in your area is using
# the same number as you are!  Brackets are required.
#
ip address [129.100.22.100]
#
#------------------------------------------------
#
# The attach command tells NET.EXE about the interfaces in your computer
# that you will be using for TCP/IP.  These can include normal IBM-type
# serial "comm ports", Ethernet controllers, or dedicated packet cards.
#
# The syntax is:
#        <mtu> [<speed>]
#
# See USEGUIDE.DOC for explanation of the attach command and its options.
#
# This entry sets you up on COM1 as a 4800 baud KISS connection
# for use with KISS TNC's.  This is a reasonable place to start...
#
# attach asy 0x3f8 4 ax25 ax0 2048 256 4800
#
# ...and here are some other possible attach commands you may find useful
# as given, or just as examples of what you can do... see USEGUIDE.DOC for
# more examples.
#
# COM2: set up as a 1200 baud KISS connection
#
#attach asy 0x2f8 3 ax25 ax1 2048 256 1200

attach asy 0x3f8 4 ax25 ax1 2048 256 1200
attach packet 0x65 uwonet 10000 1500  [129.100.22.100] # ethernet WD8003E

#
# COM1: set up as a 9600 baud slip link to another computer
#
#attach asy 0x3f8 4 slip sl0 8092 576 9600
#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# The KISS computer-to-tnc protocol includes a "command packet" that
# you can use to twiddle TNC parameters like TXDELAY, TXTAIL, PERSIST,
# and SLOTTIME.  Since most KISS implementations include good default
# values, you shouldn't have to use this feature, but if things don't
# work, you can use the "param" command to try tweaking the TNC.  If
# you think you need to do this, read the KISS protocol documentation,
# and/or talk to a friend who's an expert, *before* you go dorking with
# your TNC settings!  All TNC's were not created equal, so you *MUST* read
# the docs for the KISS implementation for your TNC as well.
#
# WHEW!  Good thing you probably don't have to do this, right?
#
# As an example, N3EUA's TNC-1 with a gross old crystal
# rig likes longer TXDELAY and TXTAIL values than the defaults:
#
 param ax1 1 25
 param ax1 4 15
#
#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# The following entry tells the program to route all packets out
# the interface labeled ax0 in the attach command.  Notice that if you
# are using the attach line from above for COM2, the label is 'ax1'
# instead.
#

route add default uwonet [129.100.22.1]
route add [44.135.0.0]/16 ax1
route add trojan ax1 ve3pzr
# The following is a test address for Carl routed via me.He needs a new radio!
route add [44.135.80.100] ax1 ve3pzr

domain add [129.100.1.23]  # RIA.UWO.CA name server
domain add [129.100.2.13]  # hydra  name server
domain add [129.100.2.10]  # julian   name server

#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# Time To Live is the maximum number of hops a packet can take
# before it is thrown away. This command prevents an inadvertent
# infinite loop from occuring with packets in the network.
#
ip ttl 200
#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# The Maximum Segment Size is the largest single transmission that
# you will send. An mss of 216 corresponds to the mtu of 256 set
# up in the attach command above, overhead bytes considered.
#
tcp mss 216
#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# The Window parameter establishes the maximum number of bytes
# that may be outstanding before your system expects an ack.
# If window is twice as big as mss, for example, there will be two
# active packets on the channel at any given time... large values of
# window provide improved throughput on full-duplex links, but are a
# problem on the air.  Keep  mss <= window <= 2*mss if you're on the air.
#
#
tcp window 432
#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# This entry will open net.log in the \spool directory and will
# record the server activity of your system.  If you don't want a log,
# comment out this line... if you do, make sure you have a \spool
# directory!
#
log \spool\net.log
#
#-------------------------------------------------
#
# Each of the servers (services you will provide) must be turned
# on before they will be active. The following entries turn all
# of them on. To turn any function off use the command 'stop' after
# NET gets fired up, or just comment out the line here.
#
start smtp
start ftp
start echo
start discard
start telnet
start netrom
start remote
start ax25
#
#--------------------------------------------------
#
# AX.25 Configuration
#
# The values in the following entries reflect default values.
# These values come into play when you are operating in the
# AX.25 mode, along with your ax25 mycall entry above.
#
# If you want to operate as a digipeater (for those poor souls
# not operating TCP/IP!), change 'off' to 'on'.
#
ax25 digipeat on
#
#---------------------------------------------------
#
# Maxframe sets the max number of frames allowed to remain
# unacknowledged. Cannot be greater than 7.  1 is a good number!
#
ax25 maxframe 1
#
#---------------------------------------------------
#
# Paclen limits the size of I=fields.
#
ax25 paclen 256
#
#---------------------------------------------------
#
# Retry limits the number of unsuccessful retransmissions.
#
ax25 retry 15
#
#---------------------------------------------------
#
# ax25 window sets the number of bytes that can be pending on an
# AX.25 receive queue.
#
ax25 window 2048
#
#---------------------------------------------------
#ax  irtt 2000
#tcp irtt 2000
#
# netrom support
#
attach netrom
netrom interface ax1 UWONET 192
netrom nodetimer 600
netrom obsotimer 3600
netrom verbose no
#
smtp timer 900
# smtp gateway hydra.uwo.ca
smtp trace on
# smtp kick
#
#
mbox on
hostname
ip address
# THE END

Mark Bramwell, VE3PZR            Located in sunny London, Ontario

Internet: mbramwel@uwo.ca          IP Address: 129.100.22.100
  Packet:  VE3PZR @ VE3GYQ          UWO Phone: (519) 661-3714