[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Novell's ECONFIG

cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Cohen) (02/01/90)

I'm not sure if these are the appropriate groups to post this to...

I recently sent out a request for help with a Novell file server hang
which resulted after I set my workstation up with the Clarkson
drivers and BYU Novell shell, and patched the server OS with ECONFIG.
If you couldn't get through, I had some problems with mail - sorry.

In any case, I have narrowed the problem down somewhat : using ECONFIG
to change my IPX.COM (original one built with Novell supplied driver)
and NET$OS.EXE to use Ethernet with typefield set to 8137 causes my
file server to hang when I try to attach from the workstation. I can
3c503 boards in both workstation and file server. The LAN is also
connected to the main facility LAN. Has anyone seen this problem, and
is there a patch ?
(Note that I have eliminated Clarkson drivers and BYU shell as
potential problem areas.)

David Cohen                      |    You know how it feels when you're
cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com             |    leaning back in a chair and go a
{world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!cohend   |    a little too far and almost tip over ?
Data General Corporation, RTP, NC|    I feel like that all the time.

syackey@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve Yackey) (02/03/90)

In article <2820@xyzzy.UUCP> cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Cohen) writes:
>I'm not sure if these are the appropriate groups to post this to...
>
>to use Ethernet with typefield set to 8137 causes my
>file server to hang when I try to attach from the workstation. I can
>3c503 boards in both workstation and file server.

We have found that 3c503 cards do not work as an "internal bridge" or
when econfig'ed. Novell does not support these cards. You'll have to
not econfig, or use another controller - ne200 works ok.