[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Settings to use SLIP with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4

chan@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan Ph# 275-2456) (02/05/90)

Greetings:

I am trying to use the SLIP packet driver with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4.  I have
so far only managed to get a "cannot initialize board" error.

What I did:

1. slip8250 0x61 slip 4 0x3f8 9600 3000 3000

2. telbin -s
   and it complains about not being abot to initialize board (error code -2)

What do I have to put in config.tel except "hardware=packet"?

Any hints will be very much appreciated...

chan@eeserv (Andrew Chan Ph# 275-2456) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb4.203656.4908@ccu.umanitoba.ca> chan@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan Ph# 275-2456) writes:
>Greetings:
>
>I am trying to use the SLIP packet driver with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4.  I have
>so far only managed to get a "cannot initialize board" error.

I found my problems....  I figured it out by looking into config.tel of
the clarkson version.  I guess we just need a better documented config.tel
file.  But since this is a beta version, I don't think we can blame
anyone.. :-)

chan@eeserv (Andrew Chan Ph# 275-2456) (02/06/90)

I am still having trouble in trying to get SLIP to work under NCSA Telnet
ver 2.3b4.

1. I've successfully got 2 hardwired PC's to talk SLIP using Ka9q.

2. I am now trying to get 1 PC to use NCSA and the other Ka9q.

3. I've connected (null'ed) pin 4 to 5 on the NCSA end.

On the NCSA end:

- I did a "slip8250 0x60 slip 4 0x3f8 9600 3000 3000" and
  my settings in config.tel on the NCSA end:

	hardware=packet
	ioaddr=60
	address=6	# I suppose 6 is for slip

- I run "telbin -s" and then try "ftp" to it from the ka9q end-- nothing!

- I exited and ran procomm and checked that packets did come in from the
  ka9q end.

- I run "procomm" on the ka9q end and then:
  I "telbin" and try to open a session to the ka9q end-- nothing shows up
  on the procomm screen of the ka9q end and the connection timed out.

Again the NCSA end:

"slip8250 0x60 1 4 0x3f8 9600 3000 3000" and in config.tel:
	hardware=packet
	ioaddr=60
	address=1 # what is 1 for anyways?  ethernet?

It then actually sent something along the wire when I tried to open a
session to the ka9q end... though ka9q never recorgnize those packets.

I then "telbin -s" and try "ftp" to it from the ka9q end and again
nothing....

--- I then _GAVE_UP_ and sent out this query.. :-) :-(

Help will be very much appreciated....

In article <1990Feb4.203656.4908@ccu.umanitoba.ca> chan@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan Ph# 275-2456) writes:

   I am trying to use the SLIP packet driver with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4.  I have
   so far only managed to get a "cannot initialize board" error.

For better or worse, the SLIP packet driver requires hardware handshaking.
You can lie to it and pretend that you *are* doing hardware handshaking
by tying RTS and CTS together (that's pins 4 and 5 on a DB-25).

Please try this change and tell me if that solves your problem or not.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (02/12/90)

The PC/TCP SLIP version can be configured to either use or ignore hardware
handshaking.  I usually don't use it (direct-connected), but it worked
fine on a Telebit the last time I tried it.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901