[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TN3270 for PC/Macs, summary posting

remaker@pepsi.amd.com (02/08/90)

There was a lot of interst in getting TN3270 for ibmpcs and macs, as evi-
decned by a ton of responses I got from a rcent posting.  A summary of
I will mail the summary on request.

Phillip A. Remaker A.M.D. M/S 167 P.O. Box 3453 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3000
remaker@amdcad.amd.com  Cutting Edge Networking...Close to the Jugular...
"It's only work if someone makes you do it."  -Calvin

remaker@pepsi.UUCP ("Phillip A. Remaker") (02/09/90)

Here tis:

info/tn3270.net

remaker@pepsi.UUCP ("Phillip A. Remaker") (02/09/90)

Lets try that again:

info/tn3270.net
As promised, here is a consolidated list of replies to my request for
information on PC/MAC tn3270 packages, Edited for length.  I was informed that
the query belonged in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc, but an overwhelming response
from people saying "YES! I need to do that too!" has prompted me to post this.
A pointer message will be posted to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc.

Thanks for your help, everyone.  The net is an indispensable resource.  I hope
people find this useful.  The general consensus is that clarkson is doing the
most whiz-bang tn3270 for a pc, and Brad Clements himself tells me a PC-NFS com-
patible version is in the works.  I haven't actually tried any of these
solutions below, but this information is a good starting point.

Enjoy,
Phil remaker@bach.amd.com
rom: manoj@xlnvax.excelan.com (manoj @ Prod Mktg)
Subject: TN3270 for a PC (fwd)
To: remaker@pepsi.amd.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 90 9:33:59 PDT

Novell excelan offers a package for tn3270 at your dos & os/2
for dos, it also offers NFS client at the dos machine..
i will send you some literature..

From: Mark Eggers <meggers@uci.edu>
Subject: Re: TN3270 for a PC
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1990 11:29:47 PDT

There is really nothing that will work at the same time as Sun's PCNFS.
You have two choices with a PC that I know of.

1.     Clarkson's modified NCSA Telnet, available via anonymous FTP from omnigate.clarkson.edu.  No NFS, however.

2.     PC/TCP from FTP Software, Inc.  This is about $400 per machine without        NFS, and $600 with NFS.  It has everything (tn3270, VT100, VT220, rcommands etc.). I don't have the address at my desk, but could dig it up if you can't find it.

Macintoshes - there are two packages, neither of which support NFS.  There
is a real problem with NFS and the Macintosh.

1.     tn3270 from Brown University. Available via anonymous ftp from a
variety of places, including brownvm.brown.edu and zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  Quite nice.

2.     Amada Walker's company (Intercom, I think), has a commercial
version.  Basically, it's NCSA Telnet plus a lot of bells and whistles.  Don't know about the cost.

hope this helps - /mde/

FROM REAME FILE AT CLARKSON:

This software is available via E-Mail. For information on how
to obtain a copy via email, send mail as follows:

	mail archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

	path  <your return address in internet form goes here>
	send ncsa2.2tn Index
	^D
The archive server has 8 uuencoded files that can be reassembled
into ncsabin.tar.Z and 13 uuencoded files that can be reassembled
into ncsasrc.tar.Z.  The documentation is also available via
the archive server. In this distribution no uuencoded file
is larger than 75K bytes. Be sure to use the path command in
your request to the archive server to ensure proper reply addressing.

Comments, bugs and suggestions to
	Brad Clements
	Network Engineer
	Educational Resources Center
	Clarkson University
	Potsdam, NY 13676
	(315)268-2292
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 90 17:21:22 EST
From: Doug Nelson <ucbvax!jade.berkeley.edu!08071TCP%MSU.bitnet>

As for PD TN3270s, I know of NCSA Telnet for the PC, and Brown University
for the Mac.  If you want one that coexists with NFS, your best bet may be
to go with FTP Software, Inc., which has an excellent TCP/IP package for the
PC, and now has a PC-NFS work-alike called InterDrive.

Doug Nelson
Manager of Network Software
Michigan State University
rom: mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann)

TN3270 for the Mac can be found at zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  If you find TN3270
for the IBM, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike McCann
Date:     Wed, 24 Jan 90 11:26:14 EST
From: Brad Clements <ucbvax!omnigate.clarkson.edu!bkc>
To: amdcad!pepsi.amd.com!remaker

Clarkson has a version of NCSA that does TN3270 on the PC. However you can
have only one 3270 session active at a time.

Currently it doesn't run under PC-NFS, but I have a beta version that sorta
runs under PC-NFS

If you'ld like to try it when its ready, I'll add you to the list of test sites.

From: Chris Ranch <apple!csr@ubvax>

Hello,

Ungermann-Bass sells MacUWS, currently supporting multiple session telnet using
VT100 and TTY emulation, + FTP, and scripting front end (sophisticated).

We are in the process of identifying alpha/beta sites for the next upgrade
which will include VT220, tn3270, Tandem 6530, and tn6530.  Also UB network
management support for the mac workstation.  Testing will start in a few weeks.

Mail back if your interested,

--
Chris Ranch
Ungermann-Bass, Inc
From: Jeffery Bacon <BACON%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

     Boy, you want a miracle.
     We also run Sun's pcnfs stuff here, mostly on ibm pc/xt's running
3com 3c503 cards, but also on ps/2-30's using 3c501's and some Zenith 386's,
and we would like the same connectivity. Unfortunately, we haven't found it.
Sun doesn't offer anything, and while they've made some noise about it here
and there, we have yet to see line one of code or binary one.
     What you can do, however, for some limited instances, is run NCSA telnet.
There's a 3270 version of that floating about; it's all ftp'able from
I think omnigate.clarkson.edu or sun.soe.clarkson.edu. These use the FTP-spec
packet drivers, or can talk straight to the cards itself (in the instance of
the 501 or some other cards). There's also a patch to allow pcnfs to use the
packet driver interface. However, you can only do one or the other, not both -
pcnfs hogs the packet driver, so that ncsa can't access it. If you have a
hard drive local, or want to swap a floppy, tho, it IS an option. If you need
more details, write. We don't use it here too all much - we can telnet to
a Sun and run tn3270 there, or a lot of pc's have 7171 direct access to our
mainframe - but it's a valid option.

Jeffery Bacon -- Computing Technology Svcs., Michigan Technological University
email- bacon@mtus5.bitnet       voice: (906)487-2110        fax: (906)487-2787
alternate-  uucp: <world>!itivax!anet!bacos  domain: bacos%anet@itivax.iti.org
From: Alan Strassberg <lstc!oetl1.SCF.LOCKHEED.COM!alan@uunet.UU.NET>

	Did you get an answer to your question ? My suggestion
	would be PC-NFS from Sun with any one of the tcp/ip
	packages (ka9q, pc-ip, ncsa). These should co-exist easily.
	BTW, you're question better belongs in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc.
	And there's a tn3270 for the mac also.

	email back if you need more info.

				alan

--
Alan Strassberg             alan@oetl.scf.lockheed.com
(408) 425-6139              ...!uunet!lstc!oetl!alan

Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 90 13:27:32 EST
From: Doug Nelson <ucbvax!jade.berkeley.edu!08071TCP%MSU.bitnet>

>Thanks for the help.  I may look into the PCNFS workalike.
>
>I hate the serial # broadcasts and its bulky size.
>
>Do you know about this package?

If you mean FTP Software's PC/TCP and InterDrive, yes, I know plenty about
it.  We have a site license for both, although we haven't yet delivered
InterDrive to our users.  The PC/TCP product is stable, and works well.
I use its TN3270 almost constantly (including this very moment).  InterDrive
is a new product, and is still missing a couple features, such as file
locking.  It also suffers from performance problems.  I expect them to
solve both of these problems within a couple months, though.  The company
itself is very reponsive to its customers.

Doug

weber@CSUPWB.COLOSTATE.EDU (Larry Weber) (02/13/90)

Please send me the condensed summary of responses pertaining
to TN3270 usage on ibm-pc's and Macs.

WEBER@CSUPWB.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU