[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SLIP to Ethernet Gateway using KA9Q

EE599038@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu (Paul Charette) (02/14/90)

	Someone awhile back was asking about how to implement a SLIP to
Ethernet Gateway using KA9Q.  I would like to take a peek at his/her results
(or anyone elses who's got this beastie working).  All help is very much
appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul Charette
Department of Computer Engineering
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona

"Gosh it's hot ..."

perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) (02/18/90)

In article <DC0E8ABE40BFE00A02@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu> EE599038@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu (Paul Charette) writes:

>	Someone awhile back was asking about how to implement a SLIP to
>Ethernet Gateway using KA9Q.  I would like to take a peek at his/her results
>(or anyone elses who's got this beastie working).  All help is very much
>appreciated.

It's quite easy ( when you know how to ). In my case I have a local LAN, with
lots of Unix boxes etc.,so I use our local nameserver for host lookups.
In my autoexec.net I have :

hostname foo                                # no need to explain
ip address [x.x.x.x]                        # My host's IP-adress
attach packet 0x70 lan 5 1500               # I use a packet driver for
                                            # my ethernet card
attach asy 0x2f8 2 slip sl0 1024 576 9600   # SLIP on com2 in 9600 bps

# Now for the fancy stuff
domain add [130.237.72.201]                 # IP-address of my nameserver
                                            # I use only one
route add default lan                       # Obvious
route add [y.y.y.y] sl0                     # IP-adress at the other end of
                                            # the SLIP line

arp publish [y.y.y.y] ether 00:00:c0:05:df:15 # One has to know the ethernet
#            SLIP systems    ethernet address # adress of the card. This is
#            ip-adress         of gateway     # my card's address of course

That, I think, is the most interesting in how to make a gateway. For other
needed parameters look in a autoexec from the NET-distribution. Actually, the
only NOS specific thing here should be the 'domain' command. You can also use
'domain suffix some.dom.ain' to add a default domain. And since I haven't yet
tried a NOS version made this year somathing might have changed. But hopefully
not.

Per
--
---