[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Can this be done???

cuellar@umbc5.umbc.edu (02/22/90)

HI,

	This for a friend of mine , I'm trying to help'im out
but I'm no network wiz.....

	Is there some way to set NCSA so that on a PC with 2 ether
cards packets coming on one side (first card, thinnet) get
routed to the other side (second card, thicknet)???

	If NCSA cannot do it is there some other package that may
do it. Budget is pretty low so we are looking for PD stuff.

	Any help, hint, flame ...appreciated.

	Thanks.

In article <2823@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cuellar@umbc5.umbc.edu writes:

   	Is there some way to set NCSA so that on a PC with 2 ether
   cards packets coming on one side (first card, thinnet) get
   routed to the other side (second card, thicknet)???

   	If NCSA cannot do it is there some other package that may
   do it. Budget is pretty low so we are looking for PD stuff.

Since you're a .edu site, you can use Phil Karn's TCP/IP package AKA NET,
AKA KA9Q for free.  The source for the latest version is
flash.bellcore.com:/pub/ka9q/src.arc
-russ
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Brian Holmes) (02/22/90)

>	Is there some way to set NCSA so that on a PC with 2 ether
>cards packets coming on one side (first card, thinnet) get
>routed to the other side (second card, thicknet)???

NCSA cannot act as a router.

>	If NCSA cannot do it is there some other package that may
>do it. Budget is pretty low so we are looking for PD stuff.

As long as their is a packet driver for the two cards, KA9Q
will work just fine.  I'm using it to router between Token
Ring and ethernet right now.  You can FTP it from  flash.bellcore.com

                        Brian Holmes
                        UCC Operating Systems & Communications

PHONE:    (313) 577-3750  FAX=577-5626          Wayne State University
BITNET:   BHOLMES@WAYNEST1                      5925 Woodward
INTERNET: BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU              Detroit, MI 48202  U.S.A