[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TASM and KA9Q ...

EE599038@RVAX.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (Paul Charette) (02/22/90)

Pardon my ignorence ...

	But I am trying to MAKE KA9Q from it's sources and I've discovered
that I need TASM (Turbo Assembler if memory serves).  I don't suppose I can
use MASM instead?  I don't have TASM, although I suppose I could buy it
(I bought Turbo C, but it's not included as far as I can see ...).

	My question, then is ... Can I use MASM instead?  Will I just be
asking for trouble?  How much does TASM cost?

Thanks in advance for responses to my somewhat naive inquiry ...

Regards,
Paul

"Should I step on the brakes to get out of your clutches?"  - Elvis Costello

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey) (02/23/90)

MASM won't support some of the syntax used with TASM, and it also has
annoying bugs that may force you to rewrite some expressions that look
perfectly fine.

TASM has two modes: "ideal" mode and "quirk" mode. In quirk mode, it
emulates MASM. In ideal mode it acts rationally, at least for an
assembler.
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings.

DEDOUREK@unb.ca (02/23/90)

As a follow up to the question about TASM: what version of Turbo C
do I need to modify KA9Q?  There appears to be a "cheap" one and
an "expensive" one.  Do they both include the assembler?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

John DeDourek
dedourek@unb.ca      -- Registered Domain Name
DEDOUREK@UNB         -- BITNET / NETNORTH (Canada)
dedourek@unb.bitnet  -- For mailers which only know how to get to
                        bitnet this way.

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (02/25/90)

In a message dated 24-Feb-90, John Romkey writes:

 >TASM has two modes: "ideal" mode and "quirk" mode. In quirk mode, it
 >emulates MASM. In ideal mode it acts rationally, at least for an
 >assembler.

In "quirks" mode, it's far "quirkier" than MASM 5.1 ever was...  :-)  It also doesn't catch size type mismatches, which can be very annoying.

Yes, ideal mode is much nicer, but it's not compatible with MASM.

david

--
     UUCP: ...!munnari!csource!david  <Fido/ACSNET Gate>
 Internet: david@csource.oz.au