[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] cc:Mail to SMTP

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu (02/24/90)

Is anyone aware of a cc:Mail to SMTP "gateway"?  I had read in an
anonymous FTP listing that one or two places had one.  I searched
through those systems and couldn't find anything.  Help.

Thanks,

Keith
delong@frith.egr.msu.edu

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) (02/25/90)

In article <6584@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>Is anyone aware of a cc:Mail to SMTP "gateway"?  I had read in an
>anonymous FTP listing that one or two places had one.  I searched
>through those systems and couldn't find anything.  Help.
>
>Keith
>delong@frith.egr.msu.edu

I was told some time ago that there was one.  It required 2 pcs to be
dedicated gateways, and I don't think it was really available yet.
Call them and ask for Dick Kirsh, if you want more info.

I opted for the uucp gateway and that works quite nicely.  You have
a unix machine recieve the smtp mail and forward it uucp into the
gateway pc.  Since the Unix machine was there already, it only required
one pc to be LAN attached (to talk to the Novell Server) and serially
connected to the Unix machine.  Simple and working today.

Tom Dixon
dixon@pdn.paradyne.com

mw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Wohlgemuth) (02/26/90)

In article <7471@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
>In article <6584@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>>Is anyone aware of a cc:Mail to SMTP "gateway"?
>
>I was told some time ago that there was one.  It required 2 pcs to be
>dedicated gateways, and I don't think it was really available yet.
>Call them and ask for Dick Kirsh, if you want more info.

Al Marshall at Proteon wrote a cc:Mail-SMTP gateway.  It is available from
monk.proteon.com.  It uses FTP Software's PC/TCP to do the SMTP stuff.  I
got it & just recently hacked it to use 1 pc and NFS mount a Unix host that
has all the mail in one file (we had to hack up a mailer on the SMTP side).
It should be possible to run desqview and fit all of the original code on
one PC, but I never really tried it.

Mike Wohlgemuth
University of Florida

acmeng@RELAY.PROTEON.COM (02/27/90)

Tom,
   In article <6584@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
   >Is anyone aware of a cc:Mail to SMTP "gateway"?  I had read in an
   >anonymous FTP listing that one or two places had one.  I searched
   >through those systems and couldn't find anything.  Help.
   >
   >Keith
   >delong@frith.egr.msu.edu

This is true.  I have one available for anon ftp.

     I was told some time ago that there was one.  It required 2 pcs
     to be dedicated gateways, and I don't think it was really
     available yet.  Call them and ask for Dick Kirsh, if you want
     more info.

     I opted for the uucp gateway and that works quite nicely.  You
     have a unix machine recieve the smtp mail and forward it uucp
     into the gateway pc.  Since the Unix machine was there already,
     it only required one pc to be LAN attached (to talk to the Novell
     Server) and serially connected to the Unix machine.  Simple and
     working today.

This is a good solution for some.

     Tom Dixon dixon@pdn.paradyne.com

The system I have available is pc based and works with tcp/ip on top
of Novell (can be packet driver based or other such as ProNET-10 which
is sharable drivers).  There are 2 pc's involved, one to do SMTPSRV
and one to do the SMTP sending.  These 2 could be combined with
DesqView.  The following is the message I usually send out:

The files you need are available from monk.proteon.com (128.185.123.16) in
the pub directory for anonymous FTP.  They are also available from our bbs
at (508)366-7827 in the misc download files directory.  The file is
"arpagw.arc" which is in pkarc format.  Let me know if this is sufficient.

        -Alan Marshall, VP Proteon Inc.
         2 Technology Drive             CCMAIL: acm at proteonwebo
         Westboro, MA  01581-5008       ARPANET: acm@Proteon.com
                tel: (508)898-2120      MHS: acm @ ProteonW

BHOLMES@cms.cc.wayne.edu (Brian Holmes) (02/27/90)

Is cc:Mail a comercial product?  Where can I order it from or
get more info?

                        Brian Holmes
                        UCC Operating Systems & Communications

PHONE:    (313) 577-3750  FAX=577-5626          Wayne State University
BITNET:   BHOLMES@WAYNEST1                      5925 Woodward
INTERNET: BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU              Detroit, MI 48202  U.S.A