[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Using KA9Q to implement a gateway on an IBM PC

EE599038@RVAX.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (Paul Charette) (02/21/90)

Greetings all ...

	I am working on implementing a gateway using KA9Q.  The gateway will be
between a Sytek LAN and an Ethernet LAN.  Sytek is a connection-oriented LAN
with each host/workstation connection having a physical network address (the
unit id on the Sytek PCU box).  To do this I will be writing a driver which
will allow IP to run "on top of" Sytek connections.  The driver must establish
Sytek connections for IP packets and then transfer the IP packets using a
point-to-point protocol (SLIP or PPP).

	My questions are:

	- Is there a makefile for KA9Q which will build a version of net which
will have only the gateway specific modules included (ie - a trimmed down
version for gateway software)?

	- Should I be using the NOS version of KA9Q?  Where can I get a copy
of this?  I have a vague idea of what it is, but I'd like more information.

	- The Sytek LAN will be it's own "class C" subnetwork (128.196.68.xxx).
What I need to do is run routed or some such thing on the PC so it can tell the
Ethernet-side hosts that it is "hiding" the whole Sytek subnetwork/domain.  Is
there such a beast either included in KA9Q that I'm not seeing or another
piece of software that I can run to remedy this?

	- (File this under "wishful thinking") Is there a version of KA9Q with
nameserver support?

	Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Regards,
Paul Charette
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona

"Americans are always becoming, never being." - Unknown

mah@wu-wien.ac.AT (Michael Haberler) (02/27/90)

In bit.listserv.pc-ip you write:

>Greetings all ...

>	I am working on implementing a gateway using KA9Q.  The gateway will be
>between a Sytek LAN and an Ethernet LAN.  Sytek is a connection-oriented LAN

Hi again..

Do you mean the old IBM PC Lan which they bought from Sytek? Which runs a
variety of MS-Net on top of it? If so, we have drivers for
KA9Q (old, working), NOS (untested), a Netbios packet driver which works
with NCSA Telnet (fine). We are investigating a Netbios driver under PC-NFS,
but it's still buggy.

-michael
--
Michael Haberler	mah@nestroy.wu-wien.ac.at, mah@awiwuw11.bitnet
University of Economics and Business Administration

EE599038@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu (Paul Charette) (02/27/90)

And then Michael Haberler <mah@nestroy.wu-wien.ac.at> responded:

> Hi again..

> Do you mean the old IBM PC Lan which they bought from Sytek? Which runs a
> variety of MS-Net on top of it? If so, we have drivers for
> KA9Q (old, working), NOS (untested), a Netbios packet driver which works
> with NCSA Telnet (fine). We are investigating a Netbios driver under PC-NFS,
> but it's still buggy.

	No, I guess I wasnt quite clear.  I'm talking about a Sytek LocalNet 20
with PCUs (Packet Communication Units, right Jay? ;-).  The PCUs will be
connected to the PCs via serial lines at 9600 baud.  Rather slow by today's
standards, but we're trying to work with existing relics.

	Thanks for your response ...

Cheers,
Paul

gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) (03/05/90)

Michael Haberler states:

> Do you mean the old IBM PC Lan which they bought from Sytek? Which runs a
> variety of MS-Net on top of it? If so, we have drivers for
> KA9Q (old, working), NOS (untested), a Netbios packet driver which works
> with NCSA Telnet (fine). We are investigating a Netbios driver under PC-NFS,
> but it's still buggy.

Michael,

	I can't seem to reach you directly for some reason; so I am replying
to the mailing list.  My apologies for taking up room on the list.

    I read your message concerning the drivers you had with great
interest.  Would it be possible for me to get those drivers from
you?...

Cheers--

Al

--