[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Backing up a PC over a network?

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (03/04/90)

    I want to back up my PC's hard disk to a networked Unix machine.  I
have Stanford's PC/IP package, and a Western Digital W8003E ethernet card.
Is there an easy way to do this?  Is there a better way than the brute
force approach - creating a directory tree on the Unix machine matching
that on my hard disk, and piping a list of all files on the hard drive
through FTP in either direction?  Are there any public domain utilities
for handling this?  I'll eventually be putting the files out to tape from
the Unix machine.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

sbnicol@rose.waterloo.edu (Scott Nicol) (03/04/90)

In article <9756@portia.Stanford.EDU> dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:

>    I want to back up my PC's hard disk to a networked Unix machine.  I
>have Stanford's PC/IP package, and a Western Digital W8003E ethernet card.
>Is there an easy way to do this?  Is there a better way than the brute
>force approach - creating a directory tree on the Unix machine matching
>that on my hard disk, and piping a list of all files on the hard drive
>through FTP in either direction?  Are there any public domain utilities
>for handling this?  I'll eventually be putting the files out to tape from
>the Unix machine.
>
> -David Hinds
>  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

   Do you have rcp?  try:

	rcp -r c:\*.* username@machine:c

   The "-r" means do a recursive copy of all subdirectories under the
current directory that match the file specification.  This would place
the entire contents of your c drive (except for hidden files), in a structure
identical to the one on your hard disk, in the directory "c" in
"username@machine"'s home directory.

- Scott

       I want to back up my PC's hard disk to a networked Unix machine.  I
   have Stanford's PC/IP package, and a Western Digital W8003E ethernet card.
   Is there an easy way to do this?

Yes.  Fetch a copy of Gerald van de Grinten (sp?) version of Phil
Karn's NOS package from flash.bellcore.com:/pub/nos_0214.arc.  Compile
it using Turbo C.  Fetch the packet drivers from
sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/drivers.arc and install the wd8003e
driver Install NOS.  Create a FTPUSERS file as needed and desired.
Run NOS.  Log in to your Unix system.  FTP back to your PC.  Go into
binary mode.  Issue the following command:
	get /tar/*.* my-pc-backup.tar

The file 'my-pc-backup.tar' will be a tarfile of your entire hard disk.
Voila`!
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

horn@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) (03/07/90)

In article <NELSON.90Mar4112731@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

>Yes.  Fetch a copy of Gerald van de Grinten (sp?) version of Phil
>Karn's NOS package from flash.bellcore.com:/pub/nos_0214.arc.  Compile
>it using Turbo C.  Fetch the packet drivers from
>sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/drivers.arc and install the wd8003e
>driver Install NOS.  Create a FTPUSERS file as needed and desired.
>Run NOS.  Log in to your Unix system.  FTP back to your PC.  Go into
>binary mode.  Issue the following command:
>	get /tar/*.* my-pc-backup.tar
>
>The file 'my-pc-backup.tar' will be a tarfile of your entire hard disk.
>Voila`!
>--
>--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
>Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

Will this work using NET?  I am running NET over SL/IP and was wondering the
same thing.  Granted, backing up an entire hard-drive over 2400bd SL/IP is
probably not the quickest method, but it is automated, and I wouldn't have
to swap disks in and out for a couple of hours.  Is the "/tar/" a keyword to
get that will make everything into a tar file?

Incidentally, I would run NOS if I could.  I have not the urge to try and
compile it for my machine (AT&T 3b1)  So my limitations are that I must run
NET.  Can I still do what you said?

- sparkie
--
/ __\| . \/ . \| . \| |/ /|_|| _ | harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu