[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3Com Lockup Problem

cohend@roadkill.rtp.dg.com (Dave Cohen) (03/15/90)

I was following the discussions about a 3com 3c503 problem which caused
DOS to lock-up, but never saw a resolution. I have been booting,
for some time now (it always seems to work the second time). Did
anyone out there ever stumble across a cause/solution to this
behavior ? Thanks.

IJAH400@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU ("James A. Harvey") (03/17/90)

I meant to send this to the pcip list also but didn't...

In article <1338@xyzzy.UUCP>, Dave Cohen <cohend@dg-rtp.dg.com> writes:
>I was following the discussions about a 3com 3c503 problem which caused
>DOS to lock-up, but never saw a resolution. I have been booting,
>for some time now (it always seems to work the second time). Did
>anyone out there ever stumble across a cause/solution to this
>behavior ? Thanks.

I noticed a regular timing interval for the lockups in our environment,
which now appears to be due to the presence of Cisco routers running a
protocol (IGRP) for which an IP broadcast packet is transmitted every 90
seconds.  Further investigation seems to indicate that any broadcast packet
received after driver loading (after a boot from poweroff) seems to cause
the problem.  At least, it does for me.  I used ARP broadcasts caused by
PINGing a non-existant station; this locks it up real quick (no sense in
having to wait 90 seconds :-).  Warm-booting seems to be the only way out
at the present time.

A cold boot from the poweroff state seems to be required to reproduce the
problem consistently.  So far I've gotten the impression from those familiar
with the code that they haven't been able to reproduce the problem, which
would make it rather difficult to fix.  I'm working on it but only have a
limited amount of time to spend on the problem.  If anyone hears about a
fix for this can you let me know?  Please?  Many thanks in advance.

- Jim Harvey                      IUPUI Computing Services, DEC Systems Group
Internet: ijah400@indyvax.iupui.edu    BITNET: ijah400@indyvax    Disclaimer:
Opinions expressed here are mine, not necessarily those of Indiana University
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else"