[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] IEEE/ISO Doc.

HAGGAR@bnr.ca (Haggar Alsaleh, H.) (03/16/90)

Greetings,
could some one tell me how/where can I get

      IEEE Documents

      ISO  Documents

through the internet.
PS: thanks for the response on the ANSI Doc.(which can not
be retrieved through internet).
          Thanks in advance......Haggar@bnr.ca

dave@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu ("David E. Johnson") (03/17/90)

ISO documents are NOT available in electronic form.  They can be
purchased from ANSI or OMNICOM in VA.  This is a major drawback for
implementation of OSI protocols.

dave

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (03/17/90)

Omnicom in Reston VA will cheerfully sell you any or all the IEEE or ISO
Documents you want.  Because they are copyrighted, and neither the IEEE
nor the ISO will sacrifice the revenue they get from the people who
sell the paper documents, you can't get them electronically.  In some
cases, you can find a document that circulated, sans copyright, in draft
form still available electronically.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (03/18/90)

In article <9003161712.AA16908@vax.ftp.com> jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
>Omnicom in Reston VA will cheerfully sell you any or all the IEEE or ISO
>Documents you want.  Because they are copyrighted, and neither the IEEE
>nor the ISO will sacrifice the revenue they get from the people who
>sell the paper documents, you can't get them electronically. [...]

Whoever coined the phrase "the best things in life are free" must have
been thinking of the Internet protocol specifications vis a vis OSI... :-)

Phil