[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] ka9Q as a router.....Help!!!

cuellar@umbc5.umbc.edu (03/18/90)

Hello,

	I am still having troubles installing a router using Ka9q
may be I'm just missing something very simple, hope somebody out there
has some hints.

	A PS/2 with 2 3C523's is to be set as a router, one card is
connected to a local thinnet (a Sun is on this  loop along with the PC's)
the other card is connected thru thicknet to netland.
I think I set the Sun properly , I do a "ping"( from the local loop /Sun) to
a remote machine and I do get the "machine is alive" this leads me  to
believe that I have something wrong on the PC since from a remote machine
a do a 'ping' on the Sun in question and I get no answer.

	the section on my autoexec.net where I define the routing is:

	.
	.
	route add default thick_ether [gateway ip on thicknet]
	route add [local sun ip] thin_ether
	.
	.

	I tried a lot of different combinations but none of them helped, from
the PS/2 everything works(can connect to anywhere).

	Any help appreciated.

	cuellar@umbc5.umbc.edu
	becker@bagend.eng.umd.edu

perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) (03/18/90)

In article <2995@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cuellar@umbc5.umbc.edu () writes:
>Hello,
>
>	I am still having troubles installing a router using Ka9q
>may be I'm just missing something very simple, hope somebody out there
>has some hints.

I think you are missing that you have to respond to ARPs for the SUN on the
LAN. You can let the PC do a proxy ARP by appending :

arp publish [slip-system ip-address[ ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

where aa:bb... is the ethernet address of the pc-card connected
to the big LAN. This way ARPs for the SUN get send to the PC, and
the PC knows where the SUN is. Voila !
This is at least what I did when running SLIP through ka9q.

Per
--
---
Per Andersson

BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Brian Holmes) (03/22/90)

On Sun, 18 Mar 90 05:48:35 GMT <pcip-request@UDEL.EDU> said:
>	A PS/2 with 2 3C523's is to be set as a router, one card is
>connected to a local thinnet (a Sun is on this  loop along with the PC's)
>the other card is connected thru thicknet to netland.
>I think I set the Sun properly , I do a "ping"( from the local loop /Sun) to
>a remote machine and I do get the "machine is alive" this leads me  to
>believe that I have something wrong on the PC since from a remote machine
>a do a 'ping' on the Sun in question and I get no answer.

Are you using RIP on your network or did you define a static route
in your default gateway or Suns?

                        Brian Holmes
                        UCC Operating Systems & Communications

PHONE:    (313) 577-3750  FAX=577-5626          Wayne State University
BITNET:   BHOLMES@WAYNEST1                      5925 Woodward
INTERNET: BHOLMES@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU              Detroit, MI 48202  U.S.A