[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] MD-DOS/IP and Wiscware.

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (04/11/90)

> From: Edward Vielmetti <cica!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.lsa.umich.edu!emv@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>

> "wiscware" I'm not familiar with.  Is this the tcp/ip strain that
> derives from the PC/IP sources?

Let me state at the top that MD-DOS/IP was funded by IBM.  Now, onto
the information.

I'm not sure of the legal definition of Wiscware.  It seems to be used as
a distribution method for university projects (whether exclusively sponsored
by IBM or not, I don't know).  It publishes a catalog of software every
month (I think. Perhaps bi-monthly).  The MD-DOS/IP was announced in
a March issue of the catalog and is available on April 16.  It is available
to educational institutions.  If you're not at an educational institutions,
I'm sure there's a method to obtain the software, I'm just don't know what
it is.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll ask IBM.
If you're a member of Wiscware, and many universities are, then there
are discounts.

For more information you can write to Wiscware at:
wiscware@wiscmacc.bitnet
or
Wisc-Ware
Academic Computing Center
University of Wisconsin
1210 W. Dayton St.
Madison, WI   53706

(800) 543-3201

The info for MD-DOS/IP is on page 50.  It will be more complete than
my off-the-top-of-my-head information, which follows.

The software is loosely based on the public domain PC/IP.   I say loosely
because it's a complete rewrite of PC/IP.  You'll recognize some of the
concepts and some of the interfaces though, if you look at the code.

The package is rather large.  Among the programs it contains are telnet,
ftp (client), electronic mail, an enhanced version of the PC/IP netwatch
and lpr (and qpr for you MDQS fans).  There are other programs as well,
but the list is too long for this posting.  The package is TSR based.
The package INCLUDES SOURCE CODE.  Look for a more informative posting
soon.

There are some programs that didn't make it into the wisc-ware release.
These are:
comtcp (an INT14 interceptor)
bootp (supports the bootp protocol)
packet (a TSR that allows our stuff to use packet drivers instead of our own
        hardware drivers)

These programs will be a available from umd5.umd.edu via anonymous ftp.

> How free is this software?  As I recall there were some IBM entanglements.

The software is not free.  It is however very inexpensive.  The catalog
lists prices as:
General:
Single User $200
Wisc-ware Members
Single User $100
Class		$500
Site		$1000 - $5000 depending on size.

The only IBM entanglement is the restriction that the software is sold
to educational institutions.  IBM has been very helpful with this
distribution.

				   Joe Herman, University of Maryland, CSC

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu