[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Hangs on DELL 310's with Telnet

strat@well.sf.ca.us (Bob Stratton) (04/13/90)

In article <13200006@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lbroda@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>When this software is run on DELL 310's, the machines experience frequent hangs during tcp/ip sessions (either telnet or ftp).  These range in frequency
>from a couple times a day to once every hour or so.  Since we are planning to
>add lots of departmental users to the network in the near future, and since
>DELL 310's are currently favored for those who need 386's, we need to solve
>this problem.  Has anybody else experienced this, and have you found the
>cause or a solution?

It's funny you should mention this, as I've been battling with a problem
on a Dell system 310 at a client's site. I've been trying to install EasyLan
on said 310, to no avail. The other Dell machines (200-series) work fine,
but there's something fishy about the 310's handling of COM ports.

I, too would appreciate any and all information about these beasties -
my client is quite frustrated, as am I. We even had a CE come out and
swap our motherboard once, to no avail.

Does anyone have a list of gory details that are slightly "non-standard"
on this system. Standards don't mean much in the PC world, but you
know what I mean.   :-)

Sorry if this followup isn't strictly relevant, but I've noticed some Dell types
posting to this group, so I hope we may hear something from the source...

Bob Stratton        | UUCP: strat@cup.portal.com, strat@well.sf.ca.us
Stratton Sys. Design| GEnie: R.STRATTON32   Delphi: RJSIII   Prodigy: WHMD84A
Alexandria, VA      | PSTN: 703.765.4335 (Home Ofc.)  703.591.7101 (Office)