[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] *BUG REPORT* FTP's PC/TCP

cky@hydra.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) (05/31/90)

I recently received my order for FTP's PC/TCP package.  It is an *excellent*
package in addition to the fine Development Kit which I also ordered.

After using it for a while I have a few bugs to report (FTP.... are you guys
there?  Should I phone this bug in instead?)

I am running Interdrive (v 1.02) with the Packet Driver package (I-210) using
PC/TCP ethdrv kernel (v 2.04).  This is on a Compaq 286 (12 Mhz) with a
Cabletron (E2020) ethernet board and a coax drop.  This is NFSed to a Sun
386i running SunOS 4.0.2.  The Compaq is running IBM DOS 3.30.

THE BUGS...
1) When I create subdirectories greater than one level deep on a mounted
   drive, I later can not rmdir them.  I get the error 'Invalid path, not
   directory, or directory not empty'.  But they are just EMPTY subdirectories.
   For example, I can't remove the subdir 'test1b' below

   (root)-+-test-+-test1-+-test1a-+-test1aa
                 |       |        |
                 |       |        +-test1ab
                 |       +-test1b
                 +-test2

   ***** BUT ***** if I use a program (like Xtree) to remove the lower
                   subdirectories, IT WORKS!!!  I am guessing that the
                   command processor is somehow screwed up because a
                   program like Xtree probably bypasses the command processor
                   and performs operations at a lower level.

   There is NOTHING wrong with the Sun.  There are other users running Sun's
   PC-NFS and they don't have this problem on their mounted drives.

2) This is a minor bug, but when I set the FTP_ATTR environment variable for
   changing screen colors during a 'rloginvt' or 'tnvt' session, it is NOT
   possible to have underline attributes in high-intensity.

   For example I can't set my FTP_ATTR=0x02,0x0A,0x20.
	normal    = green on black
	underline = bright green on black
	inverse   = black on green

   This is because ONCE some underline text is encountered, the remaining
   normal text STAYS in bright green (or any other high intensity color).
   Apparently, the bit used to toggle the Intensity line on the EGA board
   is not turned off when normal text appears again.

I hope someone out there at FTP takes notice of this, especially Bug #1.
The Sun PC-NFS is a nice product, but I definately feel FTP has a superior
product.  However, this Interdrive bug casts a shadow over FTP (at least in
my supervisor's opinion).  I'd like to convince my group that we should go
with FTP (the other groups in our section are sticking to PC-NFS).  The
multiple telnet and rlogin sessions are great as well as having the ability
to run a ftp server on the PC.

If someone at FTP needs to reach me, I am:
Clifford Yamamoto
Jet Propulsion Labs
M/S 238-737
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, Calif.  91109
pri. (818) 354-1242
alt. (818) 354-9484
fax. (818) 354-2825

wjr@ftp.COM (Bill Rust) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.145209.14114@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> cky@hydra.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
>After using it for a while I have a few bugs to report (FTP.... are you guys
>there?  Should I phone this bug in instead?)

Yes, we at FTP are listening (I sort of expect more than one follow-up
to this) and, BTW, we do a lot of talking as well (jbvb, et al). We
follow the convention of having bugs@ftp.com (128.127.2.100) as one
way of reporting bugs to us, while info@ftp.com is the way to get
product information. This is a very reasonable convention that I wish
more companies on the Internet would follow.

Bill Rust (wjr@ftp.com)

fks@VAX.FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (06/01/90)

Thank you for you letter, both the compliments and the bug report. I have
sent it to the bug list, and the InterDrive developer, and someone should
be back in touch with you shortly. If you don't hear from anyone in, say,
a week, write again and let me know!

					-Frances

fks@VAX.FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (06/01/90)

For the reference of our customers:
	Unless you feel that our product excellence or absymal response
warrants an announcement to the world at large, bug reports and comments
may be sent directly to bugs@ftp.com or info@ftp.com.

							-Frances

Frances Selkirk		         info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880