[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC-NFS & OS/2

marcl@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Marc Lavine) (05/25/90)

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
>Presently, I know of 3 OS/2 TCP/IP products that are actually
>shipping, in order of introduction: Essex System's, FTP Software's
>PC/TCP for OS/2, and IBM's product.  Excelan/Novell and 3Com have
>announced products, but I don't think either is out of beta.

Actually we (3Com) have been shipping our 3+Open TCP product (for DOS and
OS/2) for (I believe) about four months.

	Marc Lavine
--
Marc Lavine			Broken: marcl%3Com.Com@sun.com
Smart: marcl@3Com.Com		UUCP: ...{sun|decwrl}!3comvax!marcl

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ Prod Mktg) (05/28/90)

In article <9005221809.AA06284@vax.ftp.com>, jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
> Presently, I know of 3 OS/2 TCP/IP products that are actually
> shipping, in order of introduction: Essex System's, FTP Software's
> PC/TCP for OS/2, and IBM's product.  Excelan/Novell and 3Com have
> announced products, but I don't think either is out of beta.  None of
>
> James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
> FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

Novell/Excelan's OS/2 for TCP/IP is shipping (LAN WORKPLACE FOR OS/2) as of
4/28/90 but we do not support NFS either!

          __
        ((__ \
           \\ !
            !!!
        o_@@--.\
        (___,  /
         ___! !             	Regards!
        / .-! !   _)

keith@excelan.COM (Keith Brown) (06/02/90)

>Actually we (3Com) have been shipping our 3+Open TCP product (for DOS and
>OS/2) for (I believe) about four months.
>
>	Marc Lavine

And we (Novell) have been shipping our OS/2 TCP/IP products for some
time now also. To be precise, the developers toolkit shipped in
December '89 (TCP transport, 4.3 BSD socket library, RFC 1002 NetBios,
example progs and documentation etc....) and the end user package (with
Telnet, FTP, Berkeley R-Utilities etc...) first left our warehouses on
April 28th of this year. The packages run on OS/2 1.1 or 1.2, standard
or extended editions. The 4 month window gave our developers a
comfortable margin in which to start to get their products ready before
the end user binaries started pumping through our distribution channels
(some 10,000 resellers for this particular product).

Hope this has cleared up any confusion re the availability of our
contribution to the "TCP/IP for OS/2 product list". I'm pleased to see
so many products already on it....
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
San Jose, California 95131                       Net:   keith@novell.COM