[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] socket libraries for dos?

daniels@rt10.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Schneidewend) (06/06/90)

	I'm sorry of this has been asked before, but
I need to know just what libraries are available for DOS
which emulate UNIX sockets.

	The situation is this:

We are running a research experiment which uses sockets to connect to
a central monitor on the net. Currently we have  it ported to several
machines, including DOS using the Wollongong WIN/API.  This of course
means that everyone that wishes to participate in the experiment
from a PC need to already have this package to compile and link in
there own parts of the program.  It is to our advantage to make
this experiment software available to as many people as possible.
Ideally, we would like a set of libs and drivers which we could
distribute with our package (our package is free for the taking, not
in any way commercial).  Failing this, we would like to port it
to as many socket implementations (that others are likely to have)
as possible.

					Thanks
					Dan Schneidewend

root@rice.edu (Brazos) (06/07/90)

>	 I need to know just what libraries are available for DOS
>	 which emulate UNIX sockets.
Try University of Maryland's MS-DOS/IP available through wisc-ware.
That would probably give you the cheapest complete site liscence
-adnan

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (06/07/90)

> I need to know just what libraries are available for DOS
> which emulate UNIX sockets.

The ones I know of are the MD-DOS/IP Wiscware stuff, FTP Inc, and  Wollongong.
I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I know off the top of my
head.  Probably any company that provides an API for TCP/IP on DOS has
a socket library, but I can't say this authoritatively.

> Ideally, we would like a set of libs and drivers which we could
> distribute with our package (our package is free for the taking, not
> in any way commercial).  Failing this, we would like to port it
> to as many socket implementations (that others are likely to have)
> as possible.

If what you want is to write code that makes socket calls and then just
link in various different socket APIs and hope it runs, I'd say that it
should work, but probably won't.  Unfortunatly, I can't think of a
solid reason other than experience.  After all, most C programs under
DOS should be portable between MSC and Turbo, but you always hear of
portability problems.

Could you describe in a little more detail what your project is?  It sounds
interesting.  If you don't think it's appropriate for this group, please
send me email.

Disclaimer:  I'm on the md-dos/ip development team.

                        Joe Herman
                        U. of Md.

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

In article <4928@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> daniels@rt10.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Schneidewend) writes:

   	I'm sorry of this has been asked before, but
   I need to know just what libraries are available for DOS
   which emulate UNIX sockets.

Hmmm...  KA9Q does what you want, and it's free for you and other educational
institutions.  However, it's not free for governmental and commercial
institutions.  That may affect your decision.  However, it's free, it's good,
and you can get source.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems