[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP and Windows 3.0

karl@asylum.SF.CA.US (Karl Auerbach) (06/06/90)

A while back I posted a note asking whether anyone has had any luck
getting a TCP/IP stack running under Windows 3.0 running in protected
mode.  (Actually all I want is UDP, I don't really need TCP.)

I was wondering whether there was any new news on this front?

			--karl--

craigs@cognos.UUCP (Craig Statchuk) (06/11/90)

In article <11947@asylum.SF.CA.US> karl@asylum.SF.CA.US (Karl Auerbach) writes:
>A while back I posted a note asking whether anyone has had any luck
>getting a TCP/IP stack running under Windows 3.0 running in protected
>mode.  (Actually all I want is UDP, I don't really need TCP.)
>
>I was wondering whether there was any new news on this front?
>
>			--karl--
I have tried several packages under Windows 2.x and 3.0.  In general,
it appears that the best implementations are implemented as DOS device drivers
that run *outside* of Windows.  Currently we use the following product:

    BWNFS
    Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
    (416) 648-6556

This product is written in assembler and takes up less than 25K to
support TCP/IP (VIA 4.3 BSD socket library).  They also provide NFS
support in less than 50K of memory.  Running as a device driver allows
it to avoid most of the nasty memory management problems
present when running as a static or dynamically linked library.

The disadvantage of this approach is minor but must be noted: use of
blocking routines will cause the windows app to wait for I/O.  You must
use non-blocking calls to ensure that windows 3.0 "multitasking" continues
to function.  If you are writing new apps you should code this way in
any event.

/CS
--
Craig Statchuk           USENET   : uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!craigs
Cognos Incorporated      INTERNET : craigs%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net