[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Packet Drvrs & Windows 3.0

kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) (06/12/90)

Does anyone know if NCSA Telnet or KA9Q will run in a window under
Windows 3.0 on a 386 machine?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill Kath ----------------------- kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
             Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
McCormick School of Engineering,  Northwestern University

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (06/12/90)

In <8859@accuvax.nwu.edu> kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) writes:

>Does anyone know if NCSA Telnet or KA9Q will run in a window under
>Windows 3.0 on a 386 machine?

Only if you run the packet driver in the same window as the
applications (you can't do this if you are also attached to a
novell lan), or if you aren't running anything else at the same
time (not sure that this is even possible with windows 3 running
in enhanced mode).

Steven Wallace
Indiana University
wallaces@ucs.indiana.edu

eason@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dale Eason) (06/14/90)

In article <ssw.645164642@cica> ssw@cica.cica.indiana.eduSteve Wallace) writes:

>>Does anyone know if NCSA Telnet or KA9Q will run in a window under
>>Windows 3.0 on a 386 machine?
>
>Only if you run the packet driver in the same window as the
>application...

Does anyone know what needs to be changed to allow the packet driver to be
loaded before windows so that we can run Novell at the same time using the
shared packet driver?

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (06/14/90)

In order to be compatible with Windows 3.0, a packet driver would have
to be modified to run in protected mode, in memory which Windows has
locked down so it won't be swapped, and its hardware interrupt handler
would have to use Windows interrupt dispatching services.  Incoming
packets would have to be queued, and delivered to the requesting
process after Windows had been asked to switch to the proper process
context, unless the protocol stack was also running in protected mode.
The side that services application packet driver function calls
(access_type(), etc) would have to use Windows critical section
controls, or else be completely re-entrant.

As you add "real operating system" features to a filesystem/loader
like DOS, the drivers get more complex.  The problem is that to date,
DOS enhancers have not been designed to provide much support for
add-ons like shared hardware drivers, or network protocol stacks.  A
real queued I/O driver scheme with O/S-provided I/O posting services
would solve much of this.  RT-11 had it in 1981, running in about
12Kb, OS/2 would be a lot easier to develop for if its version wasn't
broken...

You can make either NDIS or Packet Driver Spec run under these
circumstances, but the driver has to do a lot more to cope with
different process contexts (assuming that it is a requirement that
user processes can call it directly).  You also need to get (e.g.
pay/trade/beg for) internals information from Microsoft.  We're
talking serious programmer hours, and maybe serious dollars too.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

krumseea@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Arthur J. Krumsee) (06/15/90)

In article <9006141357.AA23684@vax.ftp.com> jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
>In order to be compatible with Windows 3.0, a packet driver would have
>to be modified to run in protected mode, in memory which Windows has
>locked down so it won't be swapped, and its hardware interrupt handler
>would have to use Windows interrupt dispatching services.

It should be added even if this is obvious, that you can load the
TCP kernel before loading windows.  This works nicely with the
PC/TCP kernel.

>You can make either NDIS or Packet Driver Spec run under these
>circumstances, but the driver has to do a lot more to cope with
>different process contexts (assuming that it is a requirement that
>user processes can call it directly).  You also need to get (e.g.
>pay/trade/beg for) internals information from Microsoft.  We're
>talking serious programmer hours, and maybe serious dollars too.

 I don't doubt the complexity (and grief) of creating a Windows 3.0
compatible driver which would allow users to run TCP/IP fully
within Windows.  Nonetheless, from my perspective such a product
will become a critical need as we all struggle with memory limits
running networks using Windows.  If I load PC LAN software
and the PC/TCP kernel before loading Windows 3.0, I am
left with less than 400K of free memory in DOS windows on 386
machines.  LAN users of your product will need more memory than
that.  I can only hope that your company will recognize and act
to meet that need.

Art Krumsee
Ohio State University

backman@interlan.Interlan.COM (Larry Backman) (06/15/90)

In article <9006141357.AA23684@vax.ftp.com> jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
>In order to be compatible with Windows 3.0, a packet driver would have
>to be modified to run in protected mode, in memory which Windows has
>locked down so it won't be swapped, and its hardware interrupt handler
>would have to use Windows interrupt dispatching services.  Incoming

James; are you talking about locking the driver or the data buffers
that the driver uses.  Locking the driver is easy; load it before WIN30
and its in memory forever.  However, what I think you are alluding to is
how does a user program post a read or recv, and later have the driver
put incoming data into the correct buffer.
>As you add "real operating system" features to a filesystem/loader
>like DOS, the drivers get more complex.  The problem is that to date,
>DOS enhancers have not been designed to provide much support for
>add-ons like shared hardware drivers, or network protocol stacks.  A
>real queued I/O driver scheme with O/S-provided I/O posting services
>would solve much of this.  RT-11 had it in 1981, running in about
>12Kb, OS/2 would be a lot easier to develop for if its version wasn't
>broken...

OS/2 NDIS isn't broken, it just needs a few more passes to work correctly.
>You can make either NDIS or Packet Driver Spec run under these
>circumstances, but the driver has to do a lot more to cope with
>different process contexts (assuming that it is a requirement that
>user processes can call it directly).  You also need to get (e.g.
>pay/trade/beg for) internals information from Microsoft.  We're
>talking serious programmer hours, and maybe serious dollars too.

Question, agreed that you can force DOS NDIS to work, but how does it
deal with a non-NETBIOS interface to a driver. For instance how does a
use program such as FTP get its buffers locked and its virtual memory
addresses converted to physical.  Where are the equivilents to the
OS/2 DevHelp functions?

				Larry Backman
				backman@interlan.com
.

ljm@obelix.twg.com (06/16/90)

>>You can make either NDIS or Packet Driver Spec run under these
>>circumstances, but the driver has to do a lot more to cope with
>>different process contexts (assuming that it is a requirement that
>>user processes can call it directly).  You also need to get (e.g.
>>pay/trade/beg for) internals information from Microsoft.  We're
>>talking serious programmer hours, and maybe serious dollars too.

> I don't doubt the complexity (and grief) of creating a Windows 3.0
>compatible driver which would allow users to run TCP/IP fully
>within Windows.  Nonetheless, from my perspective such a product
>will become a critical need as we all struggle with memory limits
>running networks using Windows.  If I load PC LAN software
>and the PC/TCP kernel before loading Windows 3.0, I am
>left with less than 400K of free memory in DOS windows on 386
>machines.  LAN users of your product will need more memory than
>that.  I can only hope that your company will recognize and act
>to meet that need.

It just doesn't seem worth the effort of redesigning the packet
driver interface to deal with Windows 3.0 when simply loading
a TCP/IP kernel first works.  In any case, if you are using
PC LAN software you need to keep the TCP/IP resident anyway.

Furthermore, I don't see networking software memory size being
that painful of an issue for too much longer.  First, the size of
the software itself is shrinking (Wollongong's NetBIOS+TCP/IP
is about 45K, Beame and Whiteside's software is pretty small, and I
would be very suprised if FTP software doesn't ship a low memory usage
kernel shortly).  Second, but there are many, many memory management
utilities which allow you to 'hide' software in various places
given a '286 or '386 processor.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
The Wollongong Group