[net.micro] Voltage protection for micros

Tim Shimeall <tim@uci-icsd> (02/09/85)

Can anyone give me information on how to build voltage protection
units for micros?  Specifically: is it difficult to put together a
unit which will protect my system from voltage dips?  I have some
information on surge protection, but nothing on dip protection.  Is
dip protection too difficult for an amateur electrician?  Would it be
better to bite the bullet and purchase a comercially available unit?
Any suggestions/experience as to which commercial units work well?
					Tim

Sam Hahn <Samuel@SU-SCORE> (02/09/85)

I have a related question-- I've investigated UPS's for my Compupro, a
rather large and sensitive beast, but those I've found suitable seem
invariably to be priced around $1400 to $2000.  I have no power engineering
background.  Could someone please explain to me why an uninterruptible
power supply necessarily is so expensive?

I've been targeting UPS's with fast switching time, or else one which is
on-line continuously.  I'd like one which can power my Compupro, which
s  fairly loaded with 12 boards, and my Quantum 40 MB disk, minimum.
I can live without my printers or terminals , though 1 terminal is a
necessity.

Among the names I've looked at are:
Clary, Sorensen, Computer Power, Power General, Best Energy, Frontier
Technologies, LorTec, Isoreg, Electro Vector, Triad-Utrad, Elgar,
Topaz, and Jefferson Electric...

Thank you.		-- sam hahn [software weenie]

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (02/10/85)

<<<

   A good UPS does not come cheap because it is not a trivial task to generate
a high power 60 hz sine wave in phase with what the power company is no longer
supplying. Power supplies take a lot of stress between a varying source and a
unpredicable load and they need a wide stress margin to handle it.

   The annoying thing about UPS's is that after you go to all the trouble to
convert your battery power to 110 VAC is that the computer turns around and
converts it back to +-12 and +- 5 VDC to do most of the work. It would be a
lot simplier if computer power supplies were designed with a 12VDC inter-
mediate voltage that the user could attach to a Diehard for battery backup.

  This approach would be more expensive for the user who didn't want a battery
backup but a lot less expensive for those who did. As CMOS prices drop down
we may even see a move toward computers that require only 12VDC from a wall
transformer. A system like this would be easy to backup.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (02/10/85)

There is a way to do an uninterupptible power supply that will work for
short periods that I have always wanted to try, but never had the
need/ambition...

what you would do is find the cheapest 110/60 alternator you could, and
a cheap electric motor, and build a GREAT BIG HEAVY mucking flywheel;
drive the flywheel with the motor, then drive the alternator with the
flywheel.  When the power was working OK, then you have a mechanical
loss between the line and the load -- so it costs a little more to run
the thing.  When the power changed over time (voltage or freq) then the
flywheel's inertia would smooth the change.  In addition, stored energy
of rotation would provide a short-term source of power which would keep
you up at least long enough to save and shut down.

I've never tried it, as I said -- if you do and it works, let me know.

--
		Opinions stated here are my own and are unrelated.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

johnl@ima.UUCP (02/12/85)

A motor-generator with a heavy flywheel should work fine, so long as you
don't blow all of your fuses while spinning the flywheel up to speed.

This is the traditional approach to UPS, by the way.  IBM provided such a
motor-generator standard with each 360/91.

John Levine, ima!johnl

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/12/85)

> what you would do is find the cheapest 110/60 alternator you could, and
> a cheap electric motor, and build a GREAT BIG HEAVY mucking flywheel;
> drive the flywheel with the motor, then drive the alternator with the
> flywheel.

Oh, no!  Let's please not bring back the MG (motor-generator).  I
listened to the racket of those infernal things for enough years
back in the "good ol' days".  Between the MG's, the 1200 card-per-
minute card reader, and the 1000 line-per-minute line printer, I
dang near went deaf.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

dtynan@cadvax (Dermot Tynan) (02/13/85)

[Eat your heart out!!]

Well, you've hit upon a very large issue there.  The field of UPS's
(Uninterruptable Power Supplies) is pretty extensive.  There are a myriad of
issues involved with power conditioning.  One can start with an EMI filter
(Electro-Magnetic Interference), and work up to a UPS.  Basically, an EMI
filter extracts the noise from the AC line.  Although it could be said that it
also helps OverVoltage and UnderVoltage to a certain extent.  I bought a power
strip with four outlets that had an EMI filter built-in.  I can't remember the
manufacturer, but I *do* remember it costing somewhere in the $50-70 range.
After hooking it up, and four hours editing I got my money's worth when the
refrigerator kicked in, and my terminal got zapped (it wasn't plugged into the
power strip).  The system stayed up, without even a glitch!
		Basically, an EMI filter will cut out such things as the
"snow" one see's on a TV when some electrical gear switches on.  A "brownout"
from the power company is, however, a different story.  A UPS on the other
hand, will retain the power anywhere from 10 minutes to two hours.  This is
similar to a battery-backup (which is essentially what a UPS is!!).  In order
to find out what exactly you need, you have to analyse your current setup.
For example, how much current are you using, what devices or peripherals are
you worried about, etc.  Normally, it's not feasable to plug such things as
printers or terminals into a UPS, as the power requirements go way up.  Most
computers (should I say *some*??) have a rudimentary EMI filter built in.  I
would advise that you check, though.  Also, a lot of today's personal
computers use "switching power supplies" (ie, Apple, IBM).  Switchers can
adjust for a low voltage in a relatively short amount of time.  Also, a large
electrolytic capacitor on the voltage rails will cure undervoltage of a short
duration (again, the values in question have to be determined).  As for a UPS,
I would suggest use of one of these, if you suffer from a lot of junk in your
110v supply.  This interference is normally due to a DIY neighbour with a
power drill, or a nearby industrial park.  In this case, I would advise a call
to your local power company, as they may be able to help you, by putting you
on another phase (this should cost less than a UPS).  The price of a UPS is
generally governed by two criteria:
	1/	Supply holdup time (how long the computer stays up, after the
		lights go out!).
	2/	Current/wattage requirements (how much you have hooked up, and
		how much current does it eat).
Generally UPS's are used by people who don't want their system to crash in the
event of a power failure.  Examples would be banks, hospitals, etc.  Your best
and cheapest solution would be to purchase an EMI filter and go with that.  If
you want to build your own, take a trip down to Radio Shack, or your local
electronics dealer, and ask for an EMI filter.  Installation is pretty
straightforward.  Otherwise, most computer stores will sell you a power strip
with built-in EMI filtering.  Be very selective, there are as many
specifications as there are filters.
	I don't expect this note to explain away your power problems, but I
hope it gives you an idea of the different techniques.  From my own experience
most power problems with personal computers are due to EMI rather than
severe brownout (the power supply *should* take care of minor ones).  If you
have any questions or problems, send me mail, but be a bit more specific.

		- Der Tynan

munck@mitre-bedford (02/13/85)

> what you would do is find the cheapest 110/60 alternator you could,
> and a cheap electric motor, and build a GREAT BIG HEAVY mucking
> flywheel; drive the flywheel with the motor, then drive the alternator
> with the flywheel.

Seems to me we ran an IBM 370/155 that way back in '73. I think it also
needed AC at something other than 60Hz; maybe 400?  Of course, this was
easy with the flywheel: just use a 400Hz generator. Maybe you could use
a 5V DC generator and eliminate your power supply.

  I question the "GREAT BIG HEAVY" flywheel.  Energy storage with
flywheels is going in the direction of relatively small, light wheels
made of exotic fibre materials and spinning at fantastic rates (100,000+
rpm) on magnetic bearings in a vacuum. Energy is added and taken out by
magnetic coupling.  Of course, it's all in an armored box to handle the
shrapnel when the wheel breaks up.  Consider what happens to the "BIG
HEAVY" wheel when a bearing seizes.
           -- Bob Munck, MITRE

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (02/14/85)

     There's nothing wrong with that idea; there is commercial gear for
that purpose, but it tends to be on the large side and noisy.  Some years
ago I worked at a Univac mainframe site which had such a rig; the MG set
was a vertical-spindle unit about 3' in diameter and 4' high, delivering
about 50KW or so.  Being synchronous (3 phase), it would ride over dips in
the power line and totally isolated the computer from nearby source of
electrical noise, which included

	- heavy arc-welding equipment,

	- a magnetic-squeeze former (a device for squeezing metal tubes,
	  bands, or bearings onto shafts using giant magnetic pulses produced
	  by discharging a large capacitor bank into coils of copper busbar),

	- a test stand for locomotive transmissions driven by a 1000HP
	  electric motor and loaded by a water-cooled Prony brake which
	  cycled through start-forward-stop-reverse cycles at about one per
	  minute.

We had NO power problems at that site.

					John Nagle

peterb@pbear.UUCP (02/14/85)

	Most bearing types will give ample warnig that they are going to
seize. this can be high heat or shrilling or in real bad cases, smoke.

rf@wu1.UUCP (02/15/85)

Charlie Martin (mcnc!duke!crm) writes:

  There is a way to do an uninterupptible power supply that will work for
  short periods that I have always wanted to try, but never had the
  need/ambition...

  what you would do is find the cheapest 110/60 alternator you could, and a
  cheap electric motor, and build a GREAT BIG HEAVY mucking flywheel; drive
  the flywheel with the motor, then drive the alternator with the flywheel.

This is the oldest uninterruptible power supply.  It is known as a
"dynamotor" or "motor-generator set".  They work well, but are expensive
and, well, mechanical.  These days they are mainly used in places with HUGE
power requirements which require AC power and can't afford any power
outages; big computer centers, mainly.

Usually, dynamotors are built with diesel engines connected to their common
shaft via clutches.  When power fails, the energy stored in the flywheel can
be used to start the engine & there is not even a change in the phase of the
output current.

				Randolph Fritz
UUCPnet:			{ihnp4,decvax}!philabs!wu1!rf

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (02/16/85)

> A motor-generator with a heavy flywheel should work fine, so long as you
> don't blow all of your fuses while spinning the flywheel up to speed.
>
> This is the traditional approach to UPS, by the way.  IBM provided such a
> motor-generator standard with each 360/91.
>
> John Levine, ima!johnl

I seem to remember some big mainframe that used its hard disks as a
"motor-generator with a heavy flywheel".  For a few milliseconds after
a power failure, it could generate power from the motion of the hard disks
and have just enough time to dump core onto one of the disks.

--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow

robertm@dartvax.UUCP (Robert P. Munafo) (02/24/85)

>   I question the "GREAT BIG HEAVY" flywheel.  Energy storage with
> flywheels is going in the direction of relatively small, light wheels
> made of exotic fibre materials and spinning at fantastic rates (100,000+
> rpm) on magnetic bearings in a vacuum. Energy is added and taken out by
> magnetic coupling.  Of course, it's all in an armored box to handle the
> shrapnel when the wheel breaks up.  Consider what happens to the "BIG
> HEAVY" wheel when a bearing seizes.
>            -- Bob Munck, MITRE

Remember that the size and mass of the flywheel really does not
matter.  Whether it's big and heavy or small and light, it is still
going to be used to store the same amount of energy, and so the
same amount of energy will be released when the flywheel fails.
--

  Robert P. Munafo   ...!{decvax,cornell,linus}!dartvax!robertm

>   I question the "GREAT BIG HEAVY" flywheel.  Energy storage with
> flywheels is going in the direction of relatively small, light wheels
> made of exotic fibre materials and spinning at fantastic rates (100,000+
> rpm) on magnetic bearings in a vacuum. ...

Quite true.  But try to buy one!  Great big heavy flywheels are available
off the shelf; fast high-speed composite flywheels are generally found
in research labs, not suppliers' warehouses.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jc@sdcsvax.UUCP (John Cornelius) (03/08/85)

Well over 90% of the voltage abnormalities that will ruin your day (and your
computer) are either over/under voltages of magnitude <nominal>+- 50% or
spikes/dropouts/noise lasting less than 20 milliseconds. IBM did a study about
7 years ago and concluded that the ability to ride through 2 cycles of peculiar
power without the peculiarity reaching the machine would take care of about 90%
of the power related maintenance calls.

The general form of such protection is with isolation/regulation transformers.
These fall into 3 types:

	Transformers that do one or the other

	Multitap isolation transformers that switch secondaries with SCRs

	Ferroresonant continuously regulating isolation transformers.

My prejudices lie with the last of these because they are superior to switched
designs in extreme cases of voltage abnormalities and those are the ones that
make maintenance companies rich. The maintenance company that we use buys
Isoreg transformers from us and installs them on micros that they are
maintaining under contract. When the contract goes away, so does the Isoreg
transformer. When the customer objects he sells it to the customer at 130% of
his cost. He claims that these things get rid of virtually all of the
undiagnosed intermittent problems.

The Isoreg product goes for about $.50 per watt for 750VA and above and a
little more for smaller units. They tend to run warm and the larger ones have
fans for cooling. They are heavy and not particularly pretty but if you have
irreplaceable data on your disk they are worth their weight in gold.

Isoreg is in Littleton Massachusetts. Their phone number is (617)486-9483.

John Cornelius
Western Scientific